[SOLVED] iPhone autodiscovery not working

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
Post Reply
Kiliman
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:44 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA

[SOLVED] iPhone autodiscovery not working

Post by Kiliman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi, I'm evaluating Enterprise and Exchange ActiveSync.

I have everything configured, and all the tests pass. I've used the Micosoft Exchange Tests and here is the response I get:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Autodiscover xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/a ... chema/2006">
<Response xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/a ... chema/2006">
<Culture>en:en</Culture>
<User>
<DisplayName>mcarter</DisplayName>
<EMailAddress>mcarter@example.com</EMailAddress>
</User>
<Action>
<Settings>
<Server>
<Type>MobileSync</Type>
<Url>https://eas.example.com/Microsoft-Serve ... eSync</Url>
<Name>https://eas.example.com/Microsoft-Serve ... Sync</Name>
</Server>
</Settings>
</Action>
</Response>
</Autodiscover>

I also used hurl.it to manually POST the autodiscover request and got the same results. So I know that the server is configured properly.

However, when I attempt to setup the EAS on the iPhone (iOS 5.1.1), I enter my email address, then example.com as my domain, mcarter as username and my password. Press next, then it prompts for the server name. If I enter the server name: eas.example.com, it works fine. I can send and receive email just fine, and email is pushed immediately.

So ActiveSync is working. Just Autodiscover is not (at least on the iPhone).

P.S. I also configured my iPhone to go through Fiddler on my PC. I was able to see the Autodiscover process, and the server does send the proper response, but for some reason, it's not reading the URL in the Xml response.

When I do the same thing using Office 365, it eventually gets the the Autodiscover.xml but it's also redirecting through a bunch of servers, so not sure if the iPhone is looking at the redirect headers or the actual XML.

Any suggestions?

MailEnable
Site Admin
Posts: 4441
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Re: iPhone autodiscovery not working

Post by MailEnable » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

The problem is that the apple devices are objecting to the namespace qualifiers on the root document.
The device seems to parse only the first namespace (or assumes that only one namespace is supplied).

MailEnable returns this:

<Autodiscover xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/a ... chema/2006">


Apple assumes the autodiscover namespace to be first - ie: namespaces to be ordered like this:

<Autodiscover xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/a ... chema/2006" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" >

(the xsi and xsd namespaces are for reference only - so they could also have been omitted.)


The solution is rolled into the 6.70 kits (which will be released before the end of the week).

The kits are stable though (There are no additional changes expected to these kits).

The kits can be found at http://www.mailenable.com/beta (otherwise will be released within the next day or so).

Thanks
Regards, Andrew

Post Reply