Licence Error with Hyper-Threading Technology

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
layerdev

Licence Error with Hyper-Threading Technology

Post by layerdev » Thu May 23, 2013 11:34 am

Hello, I have the version of MailEnable Enterprise installed on a computer with 32 processing cores. The processors have Intel HT (Hyper-Threading) and the licensing system does not work properly.

I have the license to 32 cores and apply the license he accepted without problems, but when I access it I MailEnable Administrator Console reports the following error:
"You have a license key for this server, but the CPU count does not match the resquested one. This error may occur since hyperthreaded CPUs as view as 2 CPUs by the Windows operating system. You can retrieve an updated licence via Online Services, or the Registration Wizard."

But the strange thing is that my license is recognized as valid when I run the "Diagnose System" as you can see below:
License Status: Licensed: License Key is valid
MailEnable Instance ID: HM01504[32]
Server Name: HM01504
Number of CPUs: 32

Now even weirder is that when running diagnostics through "MEDIAG.EXE" Folder Mail Enable \ Bin64 it shows that my license is not valid for counting 64 cores, as you can see below:
License Status: Unlicensed: (1D) A license key exists but is not valid a for this server. The number of processors reported by this computer does not match the number of processors assigned to the license key.
MailEnable Instance ID: HM01504[64]
Server Name: HM01504
Number of CPUs: 64

I am facing many problems with this, because Webmail is not accepting attachments understanding that my license is invalid and shows me the following error:
"The license for this software prevents access to webmail attachments."

My scenario:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2012 Enterprise 64Bit
Processors: 4x Intel Xeon Westmere-EX E7-4830-Octocore [2.13GHz] + HT
Colors: 32
MailEnable: Enterprise 7:07

I think it is a Bug

Please i need help to solution the problem.

Thank you,
Perez

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Licence Error with Hyper-Threading Technology

Post by MailEnable » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 am

Hi Perez, you are right, that is weird.
Would it be possible for you to raise a support ticket at http://www.mailenable.com/support (under defect category) so we may be able to collect more information.
Thanks
Regards, Andrew

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Licence Error with Hyper-Threading Technology

Post by MailEnable » Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 am

Update: I was talking with one of the engineers and it has been discovered that 32 bit apps will only report up to 32 CPUs.
That's why you get different behaviour depending on the bitness.

Therefore the solution is to either run all services as 32 or 64 bit. I would suggest running them as 64 bit on 64 bit O/S (which is the default anyway).
You should access online services and generate a license key that matches the 64 bit diag reported details.

Because the Registration WIzard that is *currently deployed* is a 32 bit application, it will only see 32 HT processors (and will not allow you to apply the license key).

You can then enter the license key using regedit here:

KeyRoot: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Registration
Value Name: License Key
Value Type: RegSZ
Value: The string representing the key from online services (using the CPU that has 64 or more CPUs)

(You will need to restart services having applied the key)
Regards, Andrew