Clearing Mailbox after mail is retrieved

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Damien C.

Clearing Mailbox after mail is retrieved

Post by Damien C. »

Great program, has been running flawlessly until I had to reboot the machine last night.

Now, even though mail is being retrieved from a mailbox, the retreived mail is not being deleted from the Mail Enable mailbox. This means that the next time the account is checked, not only is new mail downloaded, but also all of the old mail. this has built up over the last 12hrs, only way I have found to clear it it to delete the mail files manually.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas? Is there a setting I am missing?

gonz

Post by gonz »

damien, this is a matter of configuring your email client. do not opt to leave messages on the server.

if you do want to leave messages on the server for later retrieval on another client, it's good practice to set a number of days after which messages will be removed from the server.

hope this helps.

ronald

Damien C

Post by Damien C »

Ronald,

Confirms my suspicion that it is something at the other end, I was testing another account and it seems ok, the mail is deleted after being retrieved. Seeing as I couldn't find any settings in Mail Enable, I thought it might be something like that.

Thanks for your help.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The POP service only deletes emails when it receives a QUIT command (which is when the user disconnects). So if there is a network error, or something similar, then the next time you log in, all the messages will be retrieved again.

If the messages aren't being deleted, you aren't getting an error message in your client, and you haven't specified to keep on server, then the POP logs in the Mail Enable\Logging\POP directory may have more information.
You should email this to support@mailenable.com if you need to.