Training the baysian filter

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
johnd34

Training the baysian filter

Post by johnd34 »

Has anyone tried training the filter by forwarding emails to a 'spam' mailbox, or will this give negative score on the senders and not the content.
The senders will be authenticated so i can save them with the rule to always allow their mail, but would that allow them to be processed for training?

Thanks

John
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk

Sonic Blue

Re: Training the baysian filter

Post by Sonic Blue »

My experience with the built in Mail Enable Bayesian is that it is virtually untrainable (in auto mode) (Years of Auto training has resulted in an epic .02% detection). Even After rigorous manual training it seems like it never gets it (At one point i had got it to a very short lived 40%. Within few months it was down to less than 10%). I've been trying to use the MailEnable Bayesian Filter since it was first introduced years ago.

If you use SpamAssassin in a box (it's difficult to train due to its daemon nature) but OOB it has a 90-95% detection rate.

I have used the ASSP Spam project several times in the past. This (used to be a great project) unfortunately due to it being "a man in the middle" solution it actually makes the spam situation worse because it auto accepts all e-mails to any sender.

I used the SpamAssassin when the new integration features were introduced in (7.0 ?) and it is really great albeit a bit of a pain to setup. My only complaint and the reason I'm not using it now is that there seems to be no way to control what e-mail is sent to it and what e-mail is not sent to it. And the Spam Assassin is insanely CPU hungry on (Windows?) running a Quad Core Xeon E5620. Our mail server relays a lot of outbound business e-mail that include large file attachments and I could find no (working) way to configure Mail Enable or SpamAssassin to ignore this e-mail.

That's merely based on my my experience using it (MailEnable Standard user since 3. and Pro since 4 or 5).