Migration - Workflow help please

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
paulmcg

Migration - Workflow help please

Post by paulmcg » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me get my head round the workflow for a migration? I'm struggling to work out how to achieve a clean migration from one server to another without losing emails.

I have an old server running Merak Icewarp and around 100 domains, each with 1-5 POP3 mailboxes. each of these domains are managed by a different client; all have their MX records set to mail.mydomain.com

I need to work out a way of changing the DNS records for mail.mydomain.com to point to the new MailEnable server, without losing any mails along the way.

I've set up the migration tool, so that when a customer logs in to the new server, the tool will set up that post office and mailbox, and collect the mail - as long as I've switched the mailbox type on the old server from POP3 to IMAP in the meantime.

But the problem is that for this to work, I'll need to change the DNS details, so that they log automatically into the new server and not the old server.

mail.mydomain.com is the domain used both for the MX records of my customers, and for the POP3 host address in their email clients.

But, say I changed the DNS for mail.mydomain.com at 5pm, and the customer logs in at 9am the next day, when the DNS has switched, in between those times, mail will have been directed to the new server, but the post office and mailbox won't have been created yet, as the customer won't have logged in.

The only solution I can think of if there's a way of creating some kind of global catch all for domains that haven't been set up yet, and then find a way of forwarding the mail in that catchall to the newly created mailboxes once the migration tool has done its job in the morning - but I can't find any way of doing that in the manual etc.

Is there another way? I imagine that my setup is pretty similar to most people's?

Any help or solutions that anyone can offer would be really appreciated - I've been struggling with this for a couple of days now.

Many thanks,

Paul