GMail tagging list email as spam

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
dwatney

GMail tagging list email as spam

Post by dwatney »

This week, members of a list I host in MailEnable have been reporting that the messages are being tagged as spam by GMail. Looking into it, it seems that GMail is looking at the from address and saying it must be spam since it didn't come from that server (it came from mine, of course). This list has been around for years and this only came up this week, so this may be something new in GMail.

This seems like a no-win situation. There are list options to use either the list address or the moderator address as the from address, but this option seems to be ignored as the emails show as from the original sender regardless of the setting. But, if these options worked, no one would know who was sending the emails anymore unless they identified themselves in the message.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

dax

Re: GMail tagging list email as spam

Post by dax »

Sorry no solution, but I am having the exact same issue.

I host multiple post offices and the domain sending the email doesn't match the domain name of the email server.

I'm on the verge of dumping MailEnable Pro if I can't find a solution and fast.

dwatney

Post by dwatney »

Before blaming MailEnable, we should try subscribing to other lists to see if they have the same problem. I don't know how they can avoid it unless they change the from address (or, to put it another way, I think it is gmail's fault). I just remembered that I am on a list that sends out something almost every day, so I just subscribed from my gmail account to see what happens. I'll let you know.

dwatney

Post by dwatney »

I received mail from another mailing list and it didn't get marked as spam. Looking at the headers, I'm not seeing any obvious difference between theirs and the ones from MailEnable.

I did notice something else today. gmail is showing some "via" information next to the sender, indicating that it is going through a mail service. There is a link there to this page: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... n&ctx=mail where it talks about SPF and DKIM (both of which I think I have set up properly, but I should check in case something broke).

Interestingly, There were 3 new messages on my mailing list. The two from yahoo users got marked as spam and the one from a gmail user didn't. Maybe that just means they were able to confirm the gmail message through their own records. Hmm, I just looked at the full source of these messages and I see an Authentication-Results section where it says both SPF and DKIM passed. In the ones from my server, it also says DMARC failed. The message from the other server doesn't mention DMARC. I suppose this is a lead to track down.

dax

Post by dax »

My emails are passing SPF, DKIM, and DMarc and still being sent to the spam folder.

Gmail has no way of contacting them that I can find to help troubleshoot this.

dwatney

Post by dwatney »

I just learned that another email list that my wife uses has the same problem. Also, gmail has gotten better at explaining why these are ending up in spam. The basic problem seems to be that the email says it is from a Yahoo user, yet it isn't coming from a Yahoo server (why is Yahoo special?).

It finally occurred what suggestion to make to MailEnable. If, when you choose the option to send out all the list email as the list address, if in some way indicated the original sender (as the descriptive name in the from address, perhaps), then that option wouldn't be useless for anyone who isn't trying to run an anonymous mailing list. I suppose I should check to see if that has changed in the many months that have elapsed since this thread was last active.

dwatney

Post by dwatney »

I just found this over-year-old article about Yahoo changing their DMARC policy a while back, basically breaking listservs

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141120/ ... lists.html