MePurge Not Purging

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
SH-Keith

MePurge Not Purging

Post by SH-Keith »

Sorry I know this is another MePurge post and there are lots already but I have searched and have been unable to find a solution.

We have the latest version of MePurge (v1.23) and it appears to go through the motions but it does not actually purge any messages;

Code: Select all

D:\Mail Enable\bin>MEPURGE MYDOMAIN.COM 5 INBOX+DELETED+SENT
Utility is configured to delete unread messages

Loaded Postoffice Configuration Provider (MEAIPO.DLL)
Purging Mailbox Messages older than 5 days
Postoffice Root=D:\Mail Enable\postoffices

D:\Mail Enable\bin>
We have a very busy server and need desperately to have this utility working, any help would be very much appreciated.

ME Enterprise Edition 2.38

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

I tested version 1.23 with those options and it seemed to work fine.

A new version of the utility has been posted (it includes some additional diagnostic reporting when using the +REPORT option.

The report option is a good way to ensure that there is no processing issues with the supplied arguments.

Example below:

MEPURGE YOURPOSTOFFICE 5 INBOX+DELETED+SENT+REPORT UNREAD >> output.txt
Regards, Andrew

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Hello Andrew

Thank you for the quick response, I download MePurge this morning and that was version 1.23, what is the latest version?

I will try and output the report to see if there is any further information, thank you.

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

I just ran it as per your command line (changed the postoffice name) and the output was;

Utility is configured to retain unread messages

Postoffice Root=D:\Mail Enable\postoffices
0	 Messages in	D:\Mail Enable\Bad Mail
0	 Messages in	D:\Mail Enable\Bad Mail\Messages

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

I would guess that the postoffice name is incorrect, since the report option should write out the number of messages for each folder tested.
Unfortunately, if you have the name of the postoffice wrong, the utility does not seem to report that. (I will log that as a change so that it can be improved upon).

Here is another command line I tried for a postoffice called MAILENABLE with one user called Andrew:

MEPURGE MAILENABLE 10000 INBOX+DELETED+SENT+REPORT UNREAD >> output.txt

Here is an example output of the 1.23 version (1.24 should contain even more info than this):
Postoffice Root=C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\postoffices
0 Messages in C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bad Mail

Postoffice Root=C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\postoffices
0 Messages in C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\postoffices\MAILENABLE\MAILROOT\Andrew\Deleted Items
0 Messages in C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\postoffices\MAILENABLE\MAILROOT\Andrew\Sent Items
0 Messages in C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\postoffices\MAILENABLE\MAILROOT\Andrew\Inbox
Regards, Andrew

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

The postoffice name is 100% correct, I've tried several variations of the command with different postoffices. Our postoffices are all domain.ext so;

D:\Mail Enable\Postoffices\domainname.com\mailroot\mailbox_name
We have over 1700 postoffices on this one server so you can see how desperate we are to have this tool working :cry:

Thank you for all your help so far.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Hmm - strange - thanks for theupdate. My last suggestion then is to use filemon to see the path that the mepurge utility is attempting to access. Perhaps there is some sort of underlying path issue/confusion on the server.

If that does not work, hen I think what may be best is to raise a defect/issue with respect to the mepurge utility (you should place a reference to this thread). See: http://www.mailenable.com/support

If possible, then consider submitting RDP details in the appropriate section on the submission form so an engineer can diagnose on the server itself, since I doubt they will be able to reproduce - I certainly could not).

Note: Since you have ent edition, you could always try using the management service to clean up these directories. ie: Mepurge functionality is integrated into ent edition.
Regards, Andrew

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

MailEnable wrote: Note: Since you have ent edition, you could always try using the management service to clean up these directories. ie: Mepurge functionality is integrated into ent edition.
Is the mailbox clean up agent or another tool? The mailbox clean up agent is configured on each mailbox and is not really a solution with so many mailboxes.

TIA

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Filemon has produced some interesting results :?

cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\Perl\site\bin\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\Perl\site\bin\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE"*	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\Perl\site\bin\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\Perl\site\bin\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\Perl\site\bin\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\Perl\site\bin\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\Perl\bin\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\Perl\bin\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE"*	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\Perl\bin\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\Perl\bin\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\Perl\bin\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\Perl\bin\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\PHP\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\PHP\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE"*	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\PHP\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\PHP\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\PHP\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\PHP\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPURGE"*	
cmd.exe:4476	CLOSE	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\	SUCCESS		
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\	NO SUCH FILE	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPurge.COM	
cmd.exe:4476	DIRECTORY	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: MEPurge.EXE	
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\MEPurge.exe	SUCCESS	Options: Open  Access: All	
cmd.exe:4476	QUERY INFORMATION	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\MEPurge.exe	SUCCESS	Attributes: A	
cmd.exe:4476	QUERY INFORMATION	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\MEPurge.exe	SUCCESS	Length: 98304	
cmd.exe:4476	OPEN	D:\MAILEN~1\BIN\MEPurge.exe.Manifest	FILE NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
Any ideas why it's not finding the postoffices.

TIA

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Unfortunately that filemon log does not provide any clues. The log only reports some system path lookups performed by the operating system. Typically, any file accesses by the application itself would follow after the end of your log.

As such, either mepurge is not even looking at the file system or the log was truncated. Assuming the first, then perhaps regmon might be step in diagnosing - since it will report if there are any problems reading the config from the registry. Failing which, the ticket is the best way forward.
Regards, Andrew

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Thank you Andrew for all your help, we've opened a support ticket.

dcol

Re: MePurge Not Purging

Post by dcol »

What was the result of the support ticket?
MEPURGE is not working for me either. Has the correct path but output.txt shows no mail in every folder.