Greylisting and bayesian filtering

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sindrehi

Greylisting and bayesian filtering

Post by sindrehi »

Hi,

First greylisting. Nice feature, but wouldnt mail be badly delayed. My mailenable is set up to resend after 15 minutes. And I did one test from one account outside mailenable to one inside. And the message was delayed by many minutes. I suppose this has to do with the other servers settings. So this is an nice feature but one that I cant use because of this delay.

Second bayesian filtering: The system overview do not show the information right. Bayesian Dict. Ham: 6 and Bayesian Dict Spam: 0 but it is 6000 ham and 8000 spam. And the counting for detections says that almost all mail is spam, but in the logfile, there is only a few lines of spam catch. And I do believe the log file is right.
This happend suddenly. I have tried to restart MTA, and the whole server. Also tried to disable bayesian filtering and to change dictionary. But nothing happens in the system overview.

Hopes somone have an answer to the bayesian problem, and that someone can tell me how to use greylisting without the delay by many many minutes.

Regards,

Sindre

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
First greylisting. Nice feature, but wouldnt mail be badly delayed. My mailenable is set up to resend after 15 minutes. And I did one test from one account outside mailenable to one inside. And the message was delayed by many minutes. I suppose this has to do with the other servers settings. So this is an nice feature but one that I cant use because of this delay.
Have you tried whitelisting the IP address? This will bypass the greylisting option and not delay the message. You can find more information in regards to greylisting in the following KB article within the version 3 filtering section: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020391
Second bayesian filtering: The system overview do not show the information right. Bayesian Dict. Ham: 6 and Bayesian Dict Spam: 0 but it is 6000 ham and 8000 spam. And the counting for detections says that almost all mail is spam, but in the logfile, there is only a few lines of spam catch. And I do believe the log file is right.
This happend suddenly. I have tried to restart MTA, and the whole server. Also tried to disable bayesian filtering and to change dictionary. But nothing happens in the system overview.
Firstly ensure that you are running the latest version of MailEnable Enterprise 3.04. Have you checked the tickbox within the metray utility "View statistics since services were restarted"?

Can you please open "regedit" and check that the Bayesian counters are displaying the correct values for spam and ham. Navigate to the following key in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Agents\MTA\Filters\MTAFILTER\Counters

The 2 keys that contain the values you see in the metray utility are:

1. Bayesian Dictionary Current Ham
2. Bayesian Dictionary Current Spam

regards,

MailEnable Support.

sindrehi

Post by sindrehi »

Hi,

First, thanks for the greylisting tips. I have enabled whitelistin for outgoing mails for a periode of time.

Second. The regedit says the same as the system overview. 6 ham 0 spam and spam detection way to high.

I have installed 3.04.

Regards,

SIndre

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
Second. The regedit says the same as the system overview. 6 ham 0 spam and spam detection way to high.
Have you restarted the MTA service to see if it updates the registry keys and the metray values in respect to the dictionary file token values? If so and it did not resolve the problem then I would suggest lodging a support ticket and provide a copy of the dictionary file you are using for the Bayesian filtering so that we can simulate and diagnose.

regards,

MailEnable Support.