Configure server to stop forwarding spam

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
bdenglish

Configure server to stop forwarding spam

Post by bdenglish »

We found an interesting post on setting up Mailenable to not forward messages marked as Spam in the knowledgebase: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020480

When i went to set this up, i found that the registry keys referenced do not exist in our registry. We are running Mailenable 5.51, on a windows 2008 server 64 bit server.

The behaviour we are trying to prevent is the following:

Lets say we have a mailbox configured to automatically forward all mail received to a gmail or yahoo.com account. When the spam filter marks a message as spam, it appears that maileable still forwards the spam message to the address to forward to. We have reason to believe that since we are forwarding mail that is spam to these email accounts, it is lowering our reputation. Is there something I am missing here or do i need to manually create the registry keys? Also, when i went into regedit, i did not see alot of ME registry keys in the location referenced in the document. I did see some Mail Enable, but not MailEnable. Is this a typo? Should i just add the keys under Mail Enable, if i need to add them? Finally, i am using regedit. Is there a different version of regedit that i would need to run for a 64bit os?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Configure server to stop forwarding spam

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Please create the key that is reported within the article you pointed out under:

HKeyLocalMachine\Software\WOW6432Node\MailEnable\MailEnable\connectors\SF\Redirect Junk Mail - Set the DWORD key to decimal value of 1 and then restart the post office connector.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

aplusmiami

Post by aplusmiami »

Is it 32 or 64 bit DWORD, or does it matter? Does this apply to v6.x?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

32bit DWORD, and yes can be used for version 6.x.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

MuNLoK

Post by MuNLoK »

In the article it's says:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020480

"Create the following registry key with a value of 0 - HKeyLocalMachine->Software->MailEnable->MailEnable->Connectors->SF->Redirect Junk Mail"

But you says:

"HKeyLocalMachine\Software\WOW6432Node\MailEnable\MailEnable\connectors\SF\Redirect Junk Mail - Set the DWORD key to decimal value of 1"

Please, could you confirm us which is correct to STOP redirect jun mail to remote servers, 0 or 1 ?

Thank you

JayE

Post by JayE »

Does this option still work? This has been configured however it appears that e-mail is still forwarded to the forwarded e-mail address.

Also does it take account if the mail box does not store mail on the mail server it is just a forward?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Yes it does work. For the forwarded messages were they marked by a MailEnable spam filter with the "Deliver to Junk" header in the message headers?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support