Attachments received as winmail.dat

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Monov

Attachments received as winmail.dat

Post by Monov »

Hi,
We are using ME Enterprise 6.04, and experiencing a conversion of attached files from docx and xlsx files to winmail.dat when they are sent from an exchange server to our Mail Enable server. We have tried the fixes that we found referenced to from the Mailenable forums: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958012 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061 but this has not resolved the problem.

We have also sent these same file types as attachments to other NON-Mail Enable servers/mail clients and found that the files are not converted to winmail.dat, leading us to believe it has something to do with Mail Enable.

In addition, we have found that in some cases, we CAN successfully send attachments to the Mail Enable server from Exchange without the files converting. So, the problem seems somewhat inconsistent. Are there any solutions for this issue that we may be overlooking?

Thanks!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Attachments received as winmail.dat

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

MailEnable does not convert attachments to .DAT files. This is dependent on the client side settings as described within the links you pointed out.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rtillie

Post by rtillie »

We are having the same problem. We are not using a third party client. The user is using the webmail client and attached are showing up as winmail.dat files. We are currently on Enterprise version 6.56

JPowers

Post by JPowers »

* We use Winmail.Dat Reader as an alternative solution.
http://www.winmail-dat.com/download.php

* And another alternative: http://www.eolsoft.com/freeware/winmail_opener/

FWIW, for us it came down to just forcing Outlook clients to send emails in plain text and not html.

jmalagese

Post by jmalagese »

This is not an acceptable solution to this issue! We are using MailEnable 8.o Enterprise. When I get an attachment in Outlook it comes across and opens just fine. When I open up YOUR webmail (emphasis on YOUR) the attachments come across as winmail.dat. A reasonable solution to this problem is putting in a security option like Microsoft does with Outlook, or at least put the security option in the main configuration. I will not have over 500 users download any 3rd party software to do something as simple as this.

jmalagese

Post by jmalagese »

This is not an acceptable solution to this issue! We are using MailEnable 8.o Enterprise. When I get an attachment in Outlook it comes across and opens just fine. When I open up YOUR webmail (emphasis on YOUR) the attachments come across as winmail.dat. A reasonable solution to this problem is putting in a security option like Microsoft does with Outlook, or at least put the security option in the main configuration. I will not have over 500 users download any 3rd party software to do something as simple as this.

benmutlu

Post by benmutlu »

We had same issue but it's not about MailEnable. It's all about client which sent file. Please follow instructions for solve; I solved like below;

1. Close Outlook
2. Start Registry Editor (type regedit in the Start Search box or Start menu, Run command and press Enter)
3. Locate the following registry key:
In Outlook 2007:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences
In Outlook 2010:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Preferences
In Outlook 2013:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Preferences
4. Add a new DWORD named DisableTNEF.
5. Double click on DisableTNEF and in the Value data box, type 1
6. Close the Registry editor and Restart Outlook