Mobile Clients

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
rtillie

Mobile Clients

Post by rtillie »

Our users are not able to use their AD login to connect to server and setup email. They must use their MailEnable password. This is causing their AD account to get locked out because we only allow three attempts. The only way to prevent this is to make the MailEnable fall back password the same as their AD password. That only works for 180 days, since they have to change passwords every 180 days. Really this shouldn't be happening. The AD password works just fine from Thunderbird, Outlook and other 3rd party clients. It just won't authenticate when using a mobile phone's email client. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution (besides the EAS product just released by MailEnable)?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Clients

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

What method of authentication is specified within the Mobile client? Are which Mobile client is being used and the email client on the device? What is reported within the Windows event log under application and security when the Mobile device fails to authenticate using the AD password?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rtillie

Post by rtillie »

Authentication type is set to "PLAIN". This occurs on iPhones and Androids using the default client and I have tried using a third party client like K-9 Mail.

The windows log shows:

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 680
Date: 7/11/2012
Time: 10:48:43 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: RLJDC1
Description:
Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: truckers@rljoc.com
Source Workstation: MAIL
Error Code: 0xC0000064

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I looked up the event ID and the Error Code and it says that the account does not exist. But I know the account does.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Sounds like a problem authenticating against AD. I have setup the same environment on test images and I was able to authenticate successfully against AD without the need to fall back to MailEnable config files. The test was performed on an iPhone and Android Galaxy Nexus. Are you able to authenticate in web mail with the option to not fall back on MailEnable files?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rtillie

Post by rtillie »

We don't have any problems with logging through the web page using the user AD password.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

As mentioned I tried using an iPhone and Android without problems. Without access to the server and log files and environment settings its not going to be easy to identify the issue. Have you tried creating a new mailbox within the postoffice using integrated windows authentication to see if this works? Make sure the option within the "integrated authentication" properties window: Automatically create mailbox if successful login and one doesn't exist" is ticked. Once the mailbox is created setup your device and test.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rtillie

Post by rtillie »

If I log a support ticket and get you access to the servers, do you think you can help fix it?