Caldav and webmail sharing usability problems

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sagelike

Caldav and webmail sharing usability problems

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup a client with shared calendaring and have run into a couple of usability problems. I can share a calendar using caldav with no problem but have these concerns:

1. If you want to provide Read Only access to users using Outlook, you have to provide those users with the credentials of the shared email account which effectively gives them access to that account. Is there a way to share a calendar to specific users using Outlook without password protection?

2. Providing access to a shared calendar to specific users and using webmail, I noticed that the calendar:

a: doesn't sync automatically. You have to refresh manually which is a problem.
b: the shared calendar doesn't remain selected under Shared Calendars in the left sidebar which is also a problem.

The questions I have are:

1. Is there a way to permanently share a calendar to specific users in Outlook using IMAP without password protection so only those users can access the calendar?

2. Is there a way to solve the usability problems in webmail? Keep calendar permanently selected under Shared Calendar and have calendar sync regularly?

Is there another option I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance!
G