MagicSpam vs. Barracuda

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sagelike

MagicSpam vs. Barracuda

Post by sagelike »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with both MagicSpam and Barracuda spam filters? Barracuda does a great job but is very expensive and I was wondering if MagicSpam can replace it with a similar level of quality spam filtering and features?

What would I lose if I went to MagicSpam?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

sagelike

Re: MagicSpam vs. Barracuda

Post by sagelike »

Ok, forget about Barracuda. Does anyone have experience with MagicSpam? What are your thoughts on it?

thx
G

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I have set it up on a couple of mail servers. Personally, I don't like it because it is not very customizable and certainly not at the domain level where each domain can be configured differently.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Thanks for your feedback Robert.

What do you think of MagicSpam spam filtering abilities? How would you compare them to Barracuda or other well known anti-spam vendors?

What do you use for spam filtering?

I use Barracuda now and I don't have many option to customize spam settings per domain anyways with the Barracuda 300. They have pushed through big price increases over the past few years and I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks
Glenn

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Hi Glenn,
With MailEnable there are not too many options. MXScan is what I currently use but the company closed a few years ago. So I have no support or software updates/upgrades since then. That software is great and very customizable. I will admit that if you have more than one domain it works well for the most part but because of the fine tuning, sometimes you either deal with false positives or not catching the spam accurately due to methods that spammers use (gmail accounts, moving from server to server, etc.).
Magic spam was fairly easy to install, just was a huge disappointment if you have more than one domain because it is all or nothing with them.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

I'm surprised you're still using MXScan! The spam rules must be seriously out of date so not sure how you can keep it going after all this time and still get effective spam filtering.

I have 100s of domains but the only per domain feature I would need is ability to forward email to a specific email server after filtering. I don't use any of the filters or per domain features the Barracuda provides so in that respect, MS might still work.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

There are other spam filters installed separately that also does the filtering to minimize the issue of the rules with mxscan being a failing culprit. In other words because there are no filters for backscatter, mxscan does that. That is an example.
Robert Williams, Owner

adz

Post by adz »

I am also still using MXScan

What are the problems with built in MailEnable Spam Filtering? I haven't looked at it in depth yet.

Has anyone built their own SPAM filtering solution?

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

MailEnable's spam filtering lacks a lot. I had mentioned/suggested years ago for them to acquire MXScan and incorporate their filters and capabilities into ME thus giving us the best of both worlds and because ME is still in business the databases stay up to date.
Robert Williams, Owner

adz

Post by adz »

Yes, I agree, it would have been good if they had purchased MXSCAN

Anyway there are other options using the Mailenable MTA

https://github.com/carlostrub/sisyphus
https://github.com/saintienn/go-spamc

+ say electron for a GUI.

As an aside my personal view is that they should not be programming stuff in XMPP chat etc and should be focussing on the core system - email. Just my view though. TrueConf and other systems will always be better for chat

digitron

Post by digitron »

I'm using mxguarddog with mailenable enterprise, and it does a good job (30users)

adz

Post by adz »

This might be all a small number of users really needs:

https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020596

Also possibly

https://www.mailenable.com/documentation/10.0/Enterprise/How_to_enable_Message_Filtering.html#
Message Filtering / Bayesian filtering / Configuring Bayesian Filtering.