Filter order

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
dcol

Filter order

Post by dcol »

Using 10.31 Enterprise.
I tested this, and Post Office filters have priority over Global Filters. Is this the way it is suppose to be? I could not find anywhere what the filter priority order is. From my tests the priority is Mailbox>Post Office>Global

Is there any way to have all active mailboxes exempt from all filters to any other active mailbox in the same Post Office without using filters. I do not want filters applied to internal mail.

Also would like to know the best way to exempt all filtering for outgoing mail from any mailbox in MailEnable. Anotherwords turn off all SPAM/Filters for outgoing mail. Only filter Incoming mail from users outside the server.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Filter order

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The first filters that are triggered is "Global" since the global filters run at the MTA agent level which routes the message from the SMTP inbound queue. Then the postoffice level filters will execute and then the mailbox filters.
Also would like to know the best way to exempt all filtering for outgoing mail from any mailbox in MailEnable. Another words turn off all SPAM/Filters for outgoing mail. Only filter Incoming mail from users outside the server.
You could create a global filter and use the criterion for "Where the sender has authenticated". Then for the action use "Stop processing Filters". Place the filter at the top of the list.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dcol

Post by dcol »

Are you sure it works that way?
My first global filter is stop processing filters for authenticated senders. Then I have a PO filter to put .doc attachments to spam.
Any email I send, I am an authenticated user, with a .doc attachment goes to the Junk E-Mail.
If I add stop processing filters for authenticated senders above the PO filter, it works, but not from the global filter.

Maybe a bug? Or is there a setting that gives PO filters priority over global.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The stop processing filter action does not stop PO level filters or mailbox filters from executing if the action is executed in a global filter. They only stop the relevant level filter actions from processing any in the list. Therefore you need to add the "stop processing" filter you have at the top of the PO level filters list like you have done.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dcol

Post by dcol »

What you meant is add the same authenticated users rule and add the stop processing filters action to the top of any PO or mailbox rule that has filters.

That is good to know and would be nice if it was completely explained in one of your docs.
So some global filters actions have no effect on PO or mailbox filters.
What if you delete an email in a global filter? I assume it never makes it to the PO.
What you need to add to your filter doc is "The 'stop processing filters' action only acts upon the filter list that it is applied to. Global, Post Office, or Mailbox"