MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
Sering

Service Problem

Post by Sering »

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the lite edition of MXScan. It installed without any problems. Unfortunately, the service immediately stops after being started.

The server event log says "The MxScanEngine for MailEnable service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s)."

Any idea what could be causing this?

Dell Server
Windows 2003 Enterprise
All MS patches have been installed

Take care,
Archie

polarisie

Re: Service Problem

Post by polarisie »

Sering wrote:Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the lite edition of MXScan. It installed without any problems. Unfortunately, the service immediately stops after being started.

The server event log says "The MxScanEngine for MailEnable service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s)."

Any idea what could be causing this?

Dell Server
Windows 2003 Enterprise
All MS patches have been installed

Take care,
Archie
Hi

Can you zip up and send me your MxScan\logs files? That should shed some light.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sering

Post by Sering »

Thank you for responding so quickly. After some playing around, it turned out to be the empty DNS fields (I just thought empty meant use the machine's default DNS). Once I filled them in everything began working. Might be worthwhile to catch that in the interface before saving.

Take care

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Sering wrote:Thank you for responding so quickly. After some playing around, it turned out to be the empty DNS fields (I just thought empty meant use the machine's default DNS). Once I filled them in everything began working. Might be worthwhile to catch that in the interface before saving.

Take care
Thanks for the update. I am surprised that you had an empty DNS field. By default the Installer automatically picks up the default DNS settings for your Email Server and inserts them into the DNS fields in MxScan.

Did you by any chance manually clear the DNS fields and then saved the settings?
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sering

Post by Sering »

I did not clear any settings. The DNS fields came up empty. I am running Enterprise 2.5 and it is installed on the (non-default) "D:" drive.

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

This program is not bad. Installed it about 20 hours ago to test it out, so far no issues at all. Very easy setup and installation. I hope it will continue this way troughout our "trial period" so I can purchase the full edition.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

supra2800 wrote:This program is not bad. Installed it about 20 hours ago to test it out, so far no issues at all. Very easy setup and installation. I hope it will continue this way troughout our "trial period" so I can purchase the full edition.
Thank you for your comments. The product is being continually refined.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sering

White Listing

Post by Sering »

Your product is working very well but I am unable to get sender whitelisting to work. We are receiving good emails from American Express and the sender address is AmericanExpress@email2.americanexpress.com. I have added *@email2.americanexpress.com to the sender whitelist. The emails are still showing up as SPAM-MEDIUM. What am I missing?

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

So far, after the first 2 days, I haven't been able to find any mails caught as spam-high that wasn't supposed to. I set it to mark spam-low and spam-medium with a comment in subject, so we probably receive a bit more spam than we would if spam-medium would delete or something, but just to be sure. And I must say, this is really effective, 78% of the mails received was spam - mails that , before, would go directly to our email inboxes.

The only thing I personally miss in this great program (which I'm gonna recommend my bosses that we buy in a week or so, when I'm done testing), is some kind of "auto-whitelisting" of emails that you send to. I don't know if it's even possible with that kind of integration with MailEnable, or maybe MxScan could check the outgoing log files like once a day for "outgoing e-mail addresses".

Of course, the problem here could be if you have web applications on the server sending out activation e-mails to customers, then you would have all their email addresses whitelisted as well.

Anyway - keep up the great work :) This has definately increased my experience with MailEnable even more!

polarisie

Re: White Listing

Post by polarisie »

Sering wrote:Your product is working very well but I am unable to get sender whitelisting to work. We are receiving good emails from American Express and the sender address is AmericanExpress@email2.americanexpress.com. I have added *@email2.americanexpress.com to the sender whitelist. The emails are still showing up as SPAM-MEDIUM. What am I missing?
Hi

I know this is going to sound silly, but did you do a FILE-SAVE after entering the whitelist information?

If you are still running into problems, can you please do the following

1. Stop the MxScanEngine Service
2. Start the MxScanEngine Service
3. The go to the \logs folder and zip up the daily log files and have those sent to me.

Thanks
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

supra2800 wrote:So far, after the first 2 days, I haven't been able to find any mails caught as spam-high that wasn't supposed to. I set it to mark spam-low and spam-medium with a comment in subject, so we probably receive a bit more spam than we would if spam-medium would delete or something, but just to be sure. And I must say, this is really effective, 78% of the mails received was spam - mails that , before, would go directly to our email inboxes.

The only thing I personally miss in this great program (which I'm gonna recommend my bosses that we buy in a week or so, when I'm done testing), is some kind of "auto-whitelisting" of emails that you send to. I don't know if it's even possible with that kind of integration with MailEnable, or maybe MxScan could check the outgoing log files like once a day for "outgoing e-mail addresses".

Of course, the problem here could be if you have web applications on the server sending out activation e-mails to customers, then you would have all their email addresses whitelisted as well.

Anyway - keep up the great work :) This has definately increased my experience with MailEnable even more!
Hi

Thanks for the comments.

With regards to the whitelisting, I think you've pretty much summed it up as to why i have held off this for now. However, the False positives is actually quite low because cumulative scores are used for the total spam score.

In addition to that due to performance reasons I've not used the Whitelisting as this would require extra processing. Not withstanding features, one of my design goals was to keep the CPU + disk IO processing requirements to a bare minimum
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sering

Post by Sering »

I believe auto whitelisting is important and would be a welcomed option in your product. I have had a couple of emails discarded because they registered high as spam, but they were from people I email regularly.

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

Sering wrote: I have had a couple of emails discarded because they registered high as spam, but they were from people I email regularly.
What "level" of spam were they rated? SPAM-HIGH, or?

During my test period, I found that NONE of the SPAM-HIGH emails were in fact "real emails". Also, none of the SPAM-MEDIUM mails seems to be either, and I asked some of the employees if they had any mails arrive with [SPAM-MEDIUM] in the header that were not spam, none of them said they did.

So now I'm going to raise the requirements for SPAM-MEDIUM just a little bit (to be safe) and have those emails removed instantly from the server as well, just like with SPAM-HIGH's.

(I'm not sure how the "Quarantine" function works, how will my users get access to their quarantine section of their mailbox?)

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

supra2800 wrote:
Sering wrote: I have had a couple of emails discarded because they registered high as spam, but they were from people I email regularly.
What "level" of spam were they rated? SPAM-HIGH, or?

During my test period, I found that NONE of the SPAM-HIGH emails were in fact "real emails". Also, none of the SPAM-MEDIUM mails seems to be either, and I asked some of the employees if they had any mails arrive with [SPAM-MEDIUM] in the header that were not spam, none of them said they did.

So now I'm going to raise the requirements for SPAM-MEDIUM just a little bit (to be safe) and have those emails removed instantly from the server as well, just like with SPAM-HIGH's.

(I'm not sure how the "Quarantine" function works, how will my users get access to their quarantine section of their mailbox?)
Yes, generally speaking there is a very low false positive rate for SPAM-MEDIUM and close to ZERO false positives for SPAM-HIGH tagged message. Messages marked as SPAM-LOW are just that and should be allowed to pass through and further reviewed by the end user.

The quarantine function works by moving spam classified messages to a separate folder. Messages are then purged from the quarantine after X days if no further action is taken. Alternatively, you can also mark messages as spam and have MailEnable move these messages to your users JunkEmail folder. Users can then login via webmail and view the JunkEmail messages online.

The general idea in keeping the false positives rate low is to have many small test added up to form your total spam score, which is what MxScan does

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

MxScan Build 1.5.610

Post by polarisie »

I've just released a new build 1.5.610 available for download from my website.

This release contains bug fixes and enchancement. There is also a new Domain level spam filtering reports (available in the Pro. version) which can be used to send daily spam filtering reports to domain administrators
Visit www.mxuptime.com