MXScan Configuration Question

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
Sid

MXScan Configuration Question

Post by Sid »

I have a question in regards to configuring MXScan. I am wondering what would be the best way to ignore/not scan mail sent from my domain to users in the same domain. I can create the from whitelist, but anyone spoofing my domain will make it through and whitelisting the to address would allow everything. I could use by IP, but we have users all over and they pop before smtp. Any suggestions?

Thanks

polarisie

Re: MXScan Configuration Question

Post by polarisie »

Sid wrote:I have a question in regards to configuring MXScan. I am wondering what would be the best way to ignore/not scan mail sent from my domain to users in the same domain. I can create the from whitelist, but anyone spoofing my domain will make it through and whitelisting the to address would allow everything. I could use by IP, but we have users all over and they pop before smtp. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sid

All internal emails within the same server is not scanned by MxScan. The logic behind this is because the emails are authenthicated and are coming from a known source they are not processed by MxScan. This also helps to keep things running optimally and puts a lesser load.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thats how it was on qmail, but I recieved messages from co-workers that got marked as spam. Also a blank test message to my self was marked as spam-low.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Sid wrote:Thats how it was on qmail, but I recieved messages from co-workers that got marked as spam. Also a blank test message to my self was marked as spam-low.
Sid, if they outgoing through the same MAILENABLE server as the outgoing SMTP server it will not be processed by MxScan for the same domain.

Assuming that you are using a current version of MailEnable, The only exception is if the emails are sent through an alternative/3rd party mail server/relay/isp mail server.
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sid

Post by Sid »

I have an example of a message sent from a user on the system to a list that was scanned and marked as spam-low. I will send you the logs in a PM.

Thanks,
Sid

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Sid wrote:I have an example of a message sent from a user on the system to a list that was scanned and marked as spam-low. I will send you the logs in a PM.

Thanks,
Sid
Are you sending these to a Mailing List? I can confirm that when sent to regular non mailing list users (individual users), the messages would not be scanned as they would not go into the SMTP Inbound queue.

ps: From the logs you posted it indicates that you are currently using the Professional version. If thats the case, can you please submit your questions using the instructions available at http://www.mxuptime.com/support.aspx
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sid

Post by Sid »

The email was sent to a mailing list, but I also saw a message sent from a co-worker to me that was marked as spam-low. I am using enterprise version. I will go ahead and open a ticket with the above link.

Thanks,
Sid

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Sid wrote:The email was sent to a mailing list, but I also saw a message sent from a co-worker to me that was marked as spam-low. I am using enterprise version. I will go ahead and open a ticket with the above link.

Thanks,
Sid
Message received. Follow up via emails
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Sid

Post by Sid »

Well I found the issue... I migrated from our old mail server and always had users POP before sending. Well with Mailenable it appears POP before sending fails a good percentage of the time (causing relay denied bounces). I am not sure why it works sometimes and then fails others, but to fix the issue I now have users log on to the SMTP server before sending. Messages no longer get scanned and marked as SPAM.

Thanks for all the help with this issue!

Thanks,
Sid