Auth Policies under Local Host Properties.

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
tomr

Auth Policies under Local Host Properties.

Post by tomr »

I have enabled "country authentication restrictions" and "Only connections from the countries selected below can authenticate."

I have selected United States as the only option.

I still get multiple attempts from other countries until they have tried too many times then the ip gets blocked.

It doesn't seem to be working correctly. shouldn't it just block it on the first attempt???

-tom

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Auth Policies under Local Host Properties.

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

It won't block the connection. It only stops the connection from being able to authenticate. Then once it fails over 10 times the abuse detection and prevention option will ban the IP address which is what seems to be happening in your case.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tomr

Post by tomr »

for what is worth. Since it is an option to prevent authentication Mailenable should prevent it from the get go. If a user doesn't want anyone from somewhere to not authenticate prevent them the first time. I don't understand the logic. Block it. You don't have to keep tabs on it.

If it is from a country someone doesn't want i don't know why you would let them try 10 times.

-tom

Doppelganger

Post by Doppelganger »

Brand new install of the Enterprise Edition

localhost set globally
I have enabled "country authentication restrictions" and "Only connections from the countries selected below can authenticate."
I have selected United States as the only option.

I wanted to test this so set up a test mailbox and email address. I had 4 friends in other countries log in via webmail. All 4 were able to authenticate. Great Britain, Scotland, Germany and Luxembourg. What am I missing here?

Thank you for any information