POP service crash

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
maextro

POP service crash

Post by maextro »

Sorry for my bad english.
My version is 4.17, the pop service crashes, when I try to connect to the service, I received the following message: "ERR your Ip address has temporarily de3nied access " and in the file log is reported the following message:"[800] IP address 10.0.0.254 denied access because it has voilated a secutity policy (too many invalid login attempts)". The IP 10.0.0.254 is the IP number of the my firewall.
Help me!

Thanks

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: POP service crash

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The most likely reason why the IP address has been blocked by the POP service is because you have the option "Abuse detection and prevention" enabled within the "localhost" properties under the "policies" tab. This will temporarily add the IP address of the client if it detects an attempt to abuse the server. (EG: too many invalid password attempts). In order to remove the IP address from memory restart the POP service and try again.

I would suggest disabling the option "Abuse detection and prevention" and restarting the POP service to see if you are then able to connect to the service without it crashing.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

Ian,
Would you consider adding a button somewhere (maybe directly under the "Enable Abuse Detection and Prevention" checkbox?) to clear this without having to restart the POP service? We hate to restart services in the middle of the day to solve a single user's problem. The Abuse Detection and Prevention is a nice feature though, and I'm glad you added it!
Thanks,
-Tom R.

RNEUSCHUL

Post by RNEUSCHUL »

I'd support Tom's request here: we're seeing lockdown issues for some of our external users who suffer from intermittent comms.

With lots of concurrent users online restarting the POP [or any other] service during the working day is simply not viable. A global facility to unlock all or specified named user accounts and/or IPs without a service restart would be a great boon.

Robert