Non Delivery Reports - limit to local

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
johnd34

Non Delivery Reports - limit to local

Post by johnd34 »

Spammers can cause problems by sending emails which return a non delivery report to the sender.

Of course the sender is not them and therefore the NDR creates its own spam.

Could we have the option to allow non-delivery reports only to local accounts?

thanks

John
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk

trusnock

Re: Non Delivery Reports - limit to local

Post by trusnock »

We've been wondering this too. Does anybody have any comments about making the "Do not generate Non-Deliver Receipts" option more flexible? ...or maybe a configuration that isn't obvious to me that would allow our customers to get NDRs when appropriate without generating backscatter?

We use muliple ME servers, and our "main" ME server is not the same server that distributes mail to the outside world... so that complicates NDRs for us even a little more (the server that would generate the NDR doesn't know all the accounts on the main server).

Some of our customers are bothered by the fact that we have NDRs disabled, but we believe that if we turn them on we'll become a source of backscatter and will get blacklisted.

We would like to see an option that says "Only generate NDRs to domains that exist on this server". Since the server acts as a backup MX for all of our domains, it "knows" all the domains on the main server. So I think this would be sufficient to determine when an NDR should be sent.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Tom R.

Timeout

Post by Timeout »

I agree to this.
This should be the best way to prevent backscatters.

johnd34

Post by johnd34 »

Interesting comments guys,

Which versions of ME are youall using?

I already have my own plugin on the MTA which adds email signatures.
Unless there are any better suggestions, it may be that the only way to catch this is to write a specific piece of code.
But does anyone know where the NDR are created.
Will they pass throught the MTA ?????

Otherwise will have to build a test system again and have a look.

John
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

Would this work?...

We might have the option of adding yet another ME server to our setup, so it occurred to me that we could designate one server as strictly "outbound" and enable NDRs on it. This server would not be an MX for any domains, and it would not even answer port 25 from anyone but our main ME server, so most of the NDRs it creates would be to our customers, which is exactly what we want.

The only caveat I see is that when a customer configures redirection to an invalid outside e-mail address, our system would send NDRs to anyone who tries to send them mail. Rare, I know, but it happened to us a few weeks ago so it's fresh in my mind (a customer had redirection to their yahoo.com account, then went out of business and closed the yaho.com account but not our account, so we were forwarding mail to a non-existent account for a couple of weeks.)

By the way, johnd34, to answer your question: We're currently on Enterprise 3.6, but we're moving to a new server with Enterprise Premium 4.22 very shortly.

-Tom R.

Fred

Post by Fred »

No update on this? Is there no way of having NDR for local users only to preven backscatter?

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

Fred,
I don't know of any new features to help with this, but we implemented the outbound server idea I mentioned in my March, 2010 post, and it's been working well on our servers. Our "main" MailEnable server smarthosts to a dedicated outbound distribution server, which has NDRs enabled. This is relatively backscatter-proof because the distribution server doesn't accept mail from anyone but our "main" MailEnable server.

-Tom

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

In V5.06, we have added the ability to restrict NDR generation to authenticated users.
It should be available for download shortly.
Regards, Andrew

Fred

Post by Fred »

Good news :D Any timeline for release? :twisted:

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Hi Fred, it was realeased when I posted - ie: 01-Feb-2011
Regards, Andrew

mnemanov

Post by mnemanov »

Hi

We are using mailenable standard version 8.53

We have the option checked to Only generate NDRs for senders who authenticate, but it is still sending NDRs?

(this NDRs are for an internal account that exists but is disabled, the system accepts the email and then returns a NDR instead of rejecting the email on the initial receipt)

Please advise

TY