Incompatible

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
lowcountrytoday

Incompatible

Post by lowcountrytoday »

Hello,

Set this up to test and have had so many issues it seems like it would be a nightmare to implement this with my customers.

Using an original droid I connected fine and worked great.

Using a different original droid and it will never connect. The email opens and never shows anything.

Using a droid3 I have had to delete and re-setup the account three times in three months to keep it working.

Motorola introduced an update to the droid3 last week and now it tells me that it is not compatable with my server. I have deleted the account and it will not even allow me to setup an account at all without the incompatable message.

Any sugesstions?

lowcountrytoday

Re: Incompatible

Was trying to setup another android one for my sales person on an HTC EVO and keep getting an error that stated the account failed to be created. Just by chance rebooted the mailenable server and it let me setup the account. Still says the active sync is not compatible on my droid3 but imap mail accounts work just fine.

Exchange active sync passes all the tests and I have gotten the phones to setup with just an email address and password. They just don't stay running and I have to delete the account on the phone and turn the phone off and then install the account again. Most of the time that works except on the droid3 with the new software load issued by verizon 2 weeks ago.

How does one get better support for these issues?

Seems like we are beta testers.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

We dont have any knowin issues that explain the behaviour you describe. The best way to troubleshoot and diagnose is to log a support ticket at http://www.mailenable.com/support. Use the defect category (no charge). Diagnosing would involve turning on troubleshooting logs and zipping the logs for review.

We do have an update due on 18th of June 2012, but the main ActiveSync fixes relate to meeting request handling and changes in the way message read flags are handled. Nothing that would explain the behaviour you are experiencing.
Regards, Andrew

lowcountrytoday

Well the HTC EVO I set up yesterday now gets an error receiving all emails and my sales person can not get any email even non-corporate sync accounts. So I had him delete the coproate sync account so his other email would work.

I am still unable to establish an active sync account on my droid3 just receive an message that states my server is not compatible with my phone and to see my administrator which is me.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Droid3 apparently uses Android 2.3, but apparently uses a Motorola supplied e-mail client (rather than the client typically supplied on Android). We have tested many devices that run on 2.3 (and 2.4) of Android – as well as later versions. But it is more a question as to the version of ActiveSync that the device is using though and I would assume they comply with version 12.1 and later of the Exchange ActiveSync Specification.
We can’t get our hands on a Droid3 because they appear to be distributed by Verizon. Without logs though we can’t really do much in terms of diagnosing (so if you are able to enable logging and pass these on, we can progress).

I have read many posts about them being very sensitive to the SSL configuration, and perhaps there may be problems here.
Regards, Andrew

lowcountrytoday

Andrew,

I didn't have time to work with this until this weekend. What I found out with the driod3 in order for it to connect again I had to open the activesysnc manager and clear the synch data on the droid3 and it let me establish a new account. Now that droid3 did get a new push of software just 3 weeks ago that all droid3 users will get.

Problem solved on the droid3 issue;
Step 1 remove the account from the account manager in the droid under settings and accounts.
Step 2 delete the previous data syncronization under the active sync manager on the email server.
Step re-establish the account.

I will test some more on the other two droids.

You are correct about the motorola app. I had to setup a certificate to get this to work because Motorola doesn't support email with out ssl certs with that app.

lowcountrytoday

That was short lived. After three days of my email working great now I can't open email on my droid3 and I receive an error message thast states "The process com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly. please try again."

Now the phone constantly gives this error ever time it trys to sync and also every time I try to open my email and then the program closes.

I believe I am done with this inferior product and moving to your competitor.

This product is would cost me dearly in trouble calls and service and not worth buying any more.
Last edited by lowcountrytoday on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

lowcountrytoday

I have a mix of five company android phones and not one of them will run more that a few days without some problems. It is bad enough that my employees can't get their email except over a imap or pop3 account.

Could you imagine if I opened this up to several thousand customers. I would go out of business fast.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

As I said, we are not able to reproduce the behaviour you mention and we have had no reports of protocol instability raised. We have had no stability defects raised with respect to EAS (and have a large number of end users using it). At this stage, the source of the instability is unknown - it could be many things - including network or environment. MailEnable provides extensive logging of the EAS protocol, so if there is any misbehaviour, then it will stand out in the troubleshooting log files. We have offered to review your logs to assist in diagnosing the problem; but it seems you do not want that assistance - in which case it makes sense to look elsewhere. We are ofcourse committed to help solve these problems if you would like to provide the log files or any devices that are experiencing problems.
Regards, Andrew