ESET Endpoint AntiVirus (=NOD32 Version 5) & MailEnable

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
onemancrew

ESET Endpoint AntiVirus (=NOD32 Version 5) & MailEnable

Post by onemancrew »

The Full Subject of this post is:

ESET Endpoint AntiVirus (=NOD32 Version 5) & MailEnable AntiVirus Filters

The Problem is:

I have tried to integrate NOD32 Version 5 (Which has new name from ESET: ESET Endpoint AntiVirus) with MailEnable.

And after spending several hours (to be specific , 12 hours of work)

I have came to conclution that there is a problem in the level of MailEnable.

When I use the following as "Antivirus Parameters":

"[AGENT]" /base-dir="D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus" /arch /quarantine /mail /rtp /adware /sfx /pattern /adv-heur /unsafe /unwanted /action=clean /log-all /log-file="D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt" "[FILENAME]"

Note: in my case the physical path of NOD32 is: "D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus"
Note: in my case I would like that the log file will be created in the following physical path: "D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt"

When I try to use the following options:

/subdir
/ads
/files
/no-log-console
/mailbox
/heur

then I get error msg in MailEnable AntiVirus Filter log as following: "Could not find path to antivirus executable (2)"

for example , in case I will use the following as "Antivirus Parameters":

"[AGENT]" /base-dir="D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus" /subdir /ads /files /no-log-console /mailbox /heur /arch /quarantine /mail /rtp /adware /sfx /pattern /adv-heur /unsafe /unwanted /action=clean /log-all /log-file="D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt" "[FILENAME]"

then I will get the error msg:

"Could not find path to antivirus executable (2)"

I have continue investigate and I have tried to run the following command in the command line of Windows Server 2003:

"D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\ecls.exe" /base-dir="D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus" /subdir /ads /files /no-log-console /mailbox /heur /arch /quarantine /mail /rtp /adware /sfx /pattern /adv-heur /unsafe /unwanted /action=clean /log-all /log-file="D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt" "D:\npp.6.1.5.Installer.exe"

and there is no problem to run this in the level of the Windows Server 2003 command line.

what it means ? it means that there is a BUG in the level of MailEnable.

so because I spend 12 hours of working time in finding the reason why the AntiVirus Filter is not working correctly while the same command is running well in the level of Windows Server 2003 command line then in last I have found a BUG in the level of MailEnable.

so I am writing this post that anyone will understand that there is a BUG in the levle of MailEnable and the developers of MailEnable must start working in fixing & resolving this BUG issue as soon as possible.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: ESET Endpoint AntiVirus (=NOD32 Version 5) & MailEnable

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

How did you add the ESET plug-in within MailEnable? Did you edit an existing plug-in as we do not provide a default ESET AV plug-in? Or did you review an knowledge base article? From what I can see in your post the AV parameters for ESET you have added do not include the executable and thus why it returns the error "Could not find path to antivirus executable (2)" .

"[AGENT]" /base-dir="D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus" /arch /quarantine /mail /rtp /adware /sfx /pattern /adv-heur /unsafe /unwanted /action=clean /log-all /log-file="D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt" "[FILENAME]"

Have you tried specifying the executable in the parameters? IE:

"[AGENT]" /base-dir="D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\ecls.exe" /arch /quarantine /mail /rtp /adware /sfx /pattern /adv-heur /unsafe /unwanted /action=clean /log-all /log-file="D:\MailEnable\Logging\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\mail-log.txt" "[FILENAME]"
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

onemancrew

Post by onemancrew »

Hello

listen man , I am not a newbie user.

I have created registry file and then imported the file.

also I have worked with regedit (registry edit application which is built in with windows server 2003)

so , there is a problem with MailEnable , and this is 100% pure BUG inside the level of MailEnable

and BY THE WAY:

read again my original post , probably according to your feedback / reply you even not read deeply my post.
because you asking questions that I already answered about them in my original post.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Can you provide the detail of the problem that you think is a bug? Where did you retrieve the registry file to add to the MailEnable registry for the NOD32 plug in?

Also have you reviewed: http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... d32#p74280

If you believe this a bug then please lodge a support ticket via the MailEnable support form. Although this is a custom added command line scanner you may have to submit a paid support ticket for a technician to investigate further. If the problem is found to be a defect then MailEnable will happily refund any ticket expenses.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

onemancrew

Post by onemancrew »

[/quote]
MailEnable-Ian wrote:Can you provide the detail of the problem that you think is a bug? Where did you retrieve the registry file to add to the MailEnable registry for the NOD32 plug in?
I have made my own investigation , I read the documentation , and then started to configure NOD32 Version 5 (So called "ESET Endpoint AntiVirus") according to my own study. BY THE WAY , I familiar with MailEnable since 2004 !!! , yes , 2004 !!!
MailEnable-Ian wrote:Also have you reviewed: http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... d32#p74280
Of course , it was my baseline.
MailEnable-Ian wrote:If you believe this a bug then please lodge a support ticket via the MailEnable support form. Although this is a custom added command line scanner you may have to submit a paid support ticket for a technician to investigate further.
It's not a custom feature , after all MailEnable need to support any AntiVirus Application which support running through command line (means running through CLI) , but in fact when you start making some investigation with MailEnable then you start to find alot of problems , means that MailEnable application is not dynamic but it's restricted.
MailEnable-Ian wrote:If the problem is found to be a defect then MailEnable will happily refund any ticket expenses.
When I run the command line through cmd.exe shell , then it's working well , but when I try to run the same command through MailEnable AntiVirus filter then I encounter an issue.

AND BY THE WAY , I AM IN THE PROCESS TO DECIDE IF THE COMPANY WHERE I AM WORKING IS GOING TO BUY A LICENSE FOR MailEnable Premium , so up to now I encounter alot of problems.

1) The AntiVirus Filter is not working well , still there are BUGS
2) The ActiveSync feature is making alot of problems , for example working with "HEBREW" chars

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Since you are evaluating MailEnable the best way forward for a technician to troubleshoot your problems would be to lodge a support ticket which will be a free submission. Just specify your evaluation key in the support form. Yes all command line scanners may work if they all return the correct return codes. The ones that we provide in the application are ones that have been tested extensively and know that work. For custom ones there maybe problems that we are unaware of. We also provide an out of box Antivirus scanning solution (ClamAv) in version 6.x that can be installed during the MailEnable installation procedure
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support