[TICKET]Serious issue with Calendar sync on Android

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
webshaun

[TICKET]Serious issue with Calendar sync on Android

Post by webshaun »

If I add an account to my phone (Android - Jelly Bean), it syncs the calendar then after an unknown event, the whole calendar disappears and doesn't come back. No resolution found. I've cleared sync data on server and cleared cached/app data on phone, still doesn't work.
---
Shaun Rieman
Advanced Micro Technologies, LLC

webshaun

Re: Serious issue with Calendar sync on Android

Post by webshaun »

Please note, I have 2 connected activesync accounts on my phone, both to the same mailenable server. different domains and accounts.
---
Shaun Rieman

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

I don't think it makes a difference the number of accounts though. I just did 1 account and it isn't syncing properly.
---
Shaun Rieman

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

update: it looks like calendar reoccurrences aren't syncing over AS. II see all the other calendar items at the moment after re-adding the account.
---
Shaun Rieman

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Hi Shaun, it will not make a difference depending on the number of accounts.
I quickly tested recurring appointments on Android and did not have any problems.
Many devices batch up the additions and send them through in one transmission (presumably to save device power). ie: the appointments will not appear on the server immediately in some cases.
It may be worth checking whether the appointment made it to the server using webmail.

To diagnose further, we would need to know the particulars of the appointment you are creating (eg recurrence type, day, etc).
It may be simplest to raise a support ticket under the defect category at http://www.mailenable.com/support
It may be best to simply zip the mailbox calendar folder and send it through as an attachment to the ticket (since from what you describe, a complete resync does not have the appointments show).
Regards, Andrew

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

I understand the complications in diagnosing an issue over a forum but I can tell you i've disabled all battery management. I've also mentioned that after it looked like it was finally "ok", the next day all the calendar data was gone and unavailable from the phone.
---
Shaun Rieman

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Oh Ok, I think your last post indicated that only the recurring items were missing.
BTW, The device is requesting a full sync as a result of losing its sinc state - and that event is causing some items to come down from the server.
The most interesting thing will be if the appointment exists in webmail, but not on the phone. Other than that, it becomes a matter of us reproducing the behaviour - or getting more info on the appointments themselves. Thx
Regards, Andrew

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

it is in webmail. I'm using the MAPI connector for outlook and that is syncing ok.
---
Shaun Rieman

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

Contacts have also been an issue. I have 121 contacts I'm using in this account yet I only see 105 through activesync.

PS: All my calendar items disappeared again, I just checked. All the data for calendar on the phone disappears after a day.

All of this data on these accounts were imported via a PST through outlook MAPI connector.
---
Shaun Rieman

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

If I click "clear sync data" on server, things come back.
---
Shaun Rieman

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

Hrm, except - now everything is duplicated on the phone. I'll give it some more time, keep testing. But I hope you guys do the same and let me know what is going on. thank you.
---
Shaun Rieman

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The clearing of Sync Data is really a last resort. Different devices behave differently when a full sync is done. It should not really be necessary.
I recall that some devices (even though they know that a full sync is required), will not clear orphaned messages on the device.
If the device does not clear items (and I think android does not), then you will get duplicates.

I would suggest removing the account from the phone.
Then add it again.
Create an appointment on the phone.
Then check webmail to see if it is there.
When the appointment disappears, check again if it is there in webmail.

You may also want to consider turning on device logging with a filter on the mailbox in question, since the logs should show what is happening.
Regards, Andrew