Does mailenable dnsbl return code support 127.0.0.3?

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
Steevo

Does mailenable dnsbl return code support 127.0.0.3?

Post by Steevo »

I am having some spam problems. I have configured three dnsbls in mailenable.

One of them is the spamhaus CSS, snowshoe block list. It's part of SBL and ZEN.

It returns a code of 127.0.0.3 to queries.
It is unclear if mailenable handles that as spam.

So does it? If not can that be added?
I also had a problem upgrading, I had errors and could not send mail.
So I rolled back, and I was specifically asked by Andrew from Mailenable to post a case on it, but since I have only the standard version I cannot pay to post a case.

He did not respond to the message I posted in response to his request.

Spamhaus CSS Component of the SBL

A dedicated Snowshoe component of the Spamhaus Block List.

About the CSS

As a snowshoe spreads the weight of a traveler across a wide area of snow, snowshoe spammers spread their spam output across many IPs and domains, diluting reputation metrics and evading filters. Snowshoe spammers frequently use many fictitious business names (DBAs), false names and identities, concealed anonymous domains and frequently changing postal dropboxes and voicemail drops to prevent others from connecting snowshoe spam operations to one another and recognizing who is behind the operations and the spam they send.

Spamhaus believes that the problem of snowshoe spam is now large enough to warrant a special response aimed specifically at it. The CSS is our response to this problem, and is a collaborative effort of Spamhaus and the CBL.

Using CSS in your spam filtering

CSS is an integral part of the SBL (and therefore part of ZEN). CSS data is distinguished only by a different SBL return code (127.0.0.3 as opposed to normal SBL records which use 127.0.0.2). If you are already using the SBL or ZEN you should not need to do anything except ensure that your spam filter handles the additional 127.0.0.3 return code.

Steevo

Re: Does mailenable dnsbl return code support 127.0.0.3?

Post by Steevo »

I just read through the ME help files related to DNSBL blacklisting.
I don't see mention of return codes that are supported.
What return codes does mailenable support?
To work properly it needs to consider a response of 127.0.0.2 and 127.0.0.3 as a positive listing.
There could be other codes returned by queryable dnsbls.
But I don't see any documentation on that.

Is anybody there?
No response to this message?

Steevo

Re: Does mailenable dnsbl return code support 127.0.0.3?

Post by Steevo »

Still no response to this?
I posted this so a response will be findable by others.

Steevo

NEED a response! Spam return code support 127.0.0.3

Post by Steevo »

I really do need an answer to this question.
I am using several DNSBLs and I am getting too much spam.
I don't think Mailenable recognizes the new server responses as positive, like the Spamhaus CSS which gives a 127.0.0.3 response.
If Mailenable does not consider that a positive that would explain how the spammers are getting through.

Mailenable needs to consider 1270.0.2 and 127.0.0.3 as a positive response for spam filtering.
It doesn't seem to be working
I can't find documentation to that level on Mailenable.
If there is documentation just point me to it.

http://www.spamhaus.org/css/
Using CSS in your spam filtering

CSS is an integral part of the SBL (and therefore part of ZEN). CSS data is distinguished only by a different SBL return code (127.0.0.3 as opposed to normal SBL records which use 127.0.0.2). If you are already using the SBL or ZEN you should not need to do anything except ensure that your spam filter handles the additional 127.0.0.3 return code.