EAS and Blackberry 10 ... Can it work?

MailEnable Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - for EAS enabled devices (including iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Android, Nokia, etc).
DenisDms

EAS and Blackberry 10 ... Can it work?

Post by DenisDms »

We spent a good part of the day attempting to set up a Blackberry 10 using the EAS client it comes with.
We were able to connect once, long enough to have an EAS license assigned by active sync, but were unable to ever complete the install. Is it possible to make it work with EAS, or is it only configurable by creating a pop3 or Mapi account.
We are wanting to gain the features of synchronized email, contacts, calanders and task, as it works on an I-phone or android product integrated with outlook.
I have had no luck searching for any information on this topic, either in the knowledge base or using google etc.
If anyone has any information or experience with this, I would love to hear about it! Also older models of blackberry too...
Thanks

Admin
Site Admin

Re: EAS and Blackberry 10 ... Can it work?

Post by Admin »

Hi,

BlackBerry 10 should be ok. They had some initial bugs in their ActiveSync, but after a few updates it is working ok for our users. Make sure you have the most recent OS version. Maybe check with another EAS client first before connecting with the BB. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get the BB to sync.

DenisDms

Post by DenisDms »

Thanks for the info! We had a test Android that was working well for the last three months...it quit working about ten days ago, not sure why. We tried another android but it wouldn't work either. I have my iPad and iPhone working really well. I am quite pleased...

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

frontdist

Post by frontdist »

I have been using EAS on by BB10, but it isn't without a handful of issues.

There was never a problem setting up the account, once EAS was correctly configured on ME, I was able to connect my phone to it quite easily. As far as sync times, it actually seems to be pretty good, though it still doesn't (in my opinion) work as well as an actual exchange implementation.

Issues:

- When sending email from BB10 with my EAS account, only my email address shows in the name display field. There is no option on the BB10 to set a display name, and although the ME webmail client is set correctly with my name, it doesn't show when I send from the BB10.

- Folders created on ME webmail (IMAP or webmail) after the initial sync has been done with the phone do not replicate to the phone. You have to delete and re-add the account to the BB10 to get the newly created folders to show (pain in the ass). Strangely, folders created on the BB10 correctly replicate to ME and are visible anywhere it is accessed (IMAP, webmail).

- There is some funny behaviour that goes on with replies/forwards of emails. It usually shows a little square box with an arrow in the subject line to remind you that you've replied to, or forwarded a message (it does this to the original), but it doesn't always work. Also, when you start a reply/forward, but delete it before sending, I believe it still adds this icon to the original message, even though you didn't send.

Hope this helps!