Removing All Group Memberships easily through WebAdmin

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
anis2k4

Removing All Group Memberships easily through WebAdmin

Post by anis2k4 »

We face a serious inconvenience in WebAdmin interface. When we disable a user account through WebAdmin and try to remove him from all group memberships we find it very difficult. There is no way where all group memberships of a user can be seen/removed at once. For example, if a user is member of 5 email groups, the Admin has to search through all email groups one by one and remove the user from each group one at a time. If there are 100 groups on server, the search-removal is to be done 100 times for one email account (in worst case scenario). I suggest that group memberships of a user account be displayed when user properties are called in WebAdmin through 'Edit' button. The Administrator should be able to remove all group memberships of an account easily through the same user property box. I hope many other MailEnable admins would agree with me.

anis2k4

Re: Removing All Group Memberships easily through WebAdmin

Post by anis2k4 »

Hi, can I suppose this limitation might have been addressed in the latest MailEnable version-8 released today?

Regards.

Anis Ahmed

rihatum

Post by rihatum »

Hi Anis2K4,

I am in process of testing version 8. We have almost 15,000 users spread around 4 domains and it was a big problem for us too.

As a workaround to remove users from multiple-groups, I use "wingrep" http://www.wingrep.com/
a) Download and Install WinGrep.
b) Copy your group.tab files off your server to your local-machine

All group entries are stored in a <groupname>.tab file. For e.g. If you have a group called HR all it's members will be listed in hr.tab file at the following path :

On a 64BIT Windows Installation the Path for group files would be :

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Config\Postoffices\postofficenameORyourdomain.com\Groups
These are text files and can be easily opened in a text editor (notepad or notepad++)

You can go about it in 2 ways:

OPTION - 1 : A safe approach :

I (being the Email Admin) regularly download the <groupname>.tab file from the above path for all our postoffices off our server to my machine. I then keep it on a IT Admin Share (accessible only by Email Admin / IT Support group). I then use Wingrep and search within these files to quickly find out all memberships for a certain user.

for e.g. David.Smith@mydomain.com left our company, I would just wingrep in the appropriate postoffice > group.tab file which will list all the entries for that user.

OPTION - 2 : Install Wingrep on your mailserver (no malware / virus).

Wingrep installed,
Open wingrep
type the username you want searched
browse to the path where your postoffice > group.tab file is

Hope this helps

anis2k4

Post by anis2k4 »

Hi Rihatum,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. Would try to use this meanwhile. However, will be looking forward to MainEnable to see this and provides an easy way to do it through its web admin in a future release of the software.

Regards.

Anis Ahmed

Aliraza852

Post by Aliraza852 »

A little bump for this in the hope of some good news.
ali