How to debug the antivirus filtering and how to use the MTA agent in debug mode.
The best way to determine exactly what is occurring with respect to antivirus filtering is to run the Mail Transfer Agent in debug mode. Mail services can be run interactively in debug mode allowing debug messages to be written to the screen. This is particularly useful in diagnosing issues with command line virus scanners called by the MailEnable Mail Transfer Agent.
The following instructions
outline how to run the Mail Transfer Agent in debug mode:
1. Stop the MailEnable Mail Transfer Agent Service either using the Windows Service Control Manager or the MailEnable Administration Program.
2. Open the regedit and navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MailEnable\MailEnable\Agents\MTA\Debug Enabled key.
3. Set the value of this key to 2 (this tells the server to write debug messages to the console rather than to a file).
4. Open the regedit and move to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MailEnable\MailEnable\Agents\MTA\Activity Log Enabled key.
5. Set the value of this key to 2 (this tells the server to write debug messages to the console rather than to a file).
6. Then, run the Windows command prompt and type in the following commands.
cd \Program Files\Mail Enable\Bin
6. Send some test messages through the server and monitor the output. The command line anti-virus application should initialise and check the messages.
7. Use Control-C to stop the service once some test messages have been sent through the server.
8. When the debug session has completed, close the console window.
9. Make sure that the registry keys specified in steps 1 and 3 are set back to 1 when finished with debug mode.
10. Start the MailEnable Mail Transfer Agent Service either using the Windows Service Control Manager or the MailEnable Administration Program.
How does antivirus filtering work and how to configure it?: Article ME020056
How to configure MailEnable's antivirus plug-in: Article ME020199
Testing MailEnable anti-virus: Article ME020085
|Product:||MailEnable (Pro-Any Pro-1.X Ent-Any Ent-1.X)|
|Class:||HOWTO: Product Instructions|
|Created:||23/05/2003 10:49:00 PM|
|Revised:||Wednesday, May 4, 2016|