Error ASP 0178 occurs when using the MEMail.Message component from web pages.
COM components from web pages, it is important that the COM component is able
to be instantiated from Internet Information Server (IIS). As a general
rule, if instantiating MailEnable objects from a web page, ensure that the IIS proxy account for the
anonymous user (typically IUSR_[Machine]) has been granted to specific libraries
the MailEnable Bin directory.
If this is not the case, an error similar to the following may occur:
Server object, ASP 0178 (0x80070005)
The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.
Ensure that the IIS proxy account has permissions to instantiate/access
the appropriate COM libraries. This can be done using the Windows Explorer by granting
the IUSR_[Machine] account access to the file MEASP.dll in the C:\Program
Files\Mail Enable\BIN directory.
To do this from the Windows command prompt the following should work:
C:\>CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\BIN\MEASP.DLL" /e /g IUSR_[Machine]:R
Note: Substitute [Machine] with the name of your computer. Please check for the existence of this account under Administrative Tools|Computer Management.
If still experiencing problems, it is possible that
an account other than the IUSR_[Machine] account is being used as the IIS
proxy account. Please follow the instructions outlined below:
1. Open the Internet Service Manager and navigate to the asp file that contains the code.
2. Select the "File Security" tab
3. Under "Anonymous access and authentication control", select the Edit button
4. Take note of the username that is used for anonymous access to this account.
5. Close all windows within the Internet Service Manger
6. From the Windows Start menu, search for any files named MEASP.DLL on the system (there should only be one; and it should be in the MailEnable BIN directory).
6. Right click on the file(s) and access Properties.
7. Ensure that the username (from step 4) has (Read) and (Read & Execute) permissions granted to access this file.
8. Re-test the application
Error ASP 0178 (0x80070005) when accessing web mail or web admin: Article ME020145
ASP 0177 : Web mail or web admin fail with 'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect': Article ME020030
ASP errors and permission problems: Article ME020367
|Product:||MailEnable (Pro-Any Pro-1.X Ent-Any Ent-1.X)|
|Class:||ERR: Product Error|
|Created:||1/07/2003 2:33:00 PM|
|Revised:||Wednesday, May 4, 2016|