Version 11

Discussion of MailEnable beta products
robertaser

Re: Version 11

Post by robertaser »

I agree everyday small businesses are moving to Office 365 - I think ActiveSync should be free for all paid customers. Small businesses are using Mailenable as well.

poweredge

Post by poweredge »

Yes, Vote for FREE Active sync (exchange like) free for all versions as SMB is losing to 365 these days.

FBeckmann

Post by FBeckmann »

We need an embedded check if email exists when using mailenable as an incoming gateway
either with ldap (we use a script to do this at the moment) or with smtp-check

better ediiting of mailing list ( would be nice, if at least the list were sorted alphabetically )

bitechbobbrenner

Post by bitechbobbrenner »

rfwilliams777 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:27 pm
robertaser wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:18 pm
I think it is time for version 11 and it should include free Active sync (exchange like) free for all versions.
I would not say for all versions, but enterprise yes. It is getting more problematic for me to keep customers who switch to another company all because they have access to sync everything in an exchange-like environment versus pop/imap.

We've lost clients for the same reason and I agree with Robert Williams as it should be free to Enterprise versions and up

dcol

Post by dcol »

++1 vote for me.

Skandiacloud Hosting

Post by Skandiacloud Hosting »

Thats why we are migrating to S.martermail.

We need the ability to book ressources like meetingrooms asf.

And full exchange integration with no middleware or outlook plugin.

And not to forget significantly faster and more intuitive.

noamway

Post by noamway »

After three years I think we need to understand there will not be version 3. I tried to talk with them to get an answer about but they never give me an answer.

dcol

Post by dcol »

I came from SM. Used it for 3 years then gave up on it. I think I will look at Mdaemon and hMailServer when my support subscription expires. One minor update a year is not what I call good support. I think there is only one person running Mailenable these days.

Skandiacloud Hosting

Post by Skandiacloud Hosting »

Problem is that its more or less the same problems that are repeating themselves....

If you care to look throgh release notes, its the same struggle everytime.

When Ian M. left ME, then support fell apart.

dcol

Post by dcol »

Unless ME can prove to me that support is improving. I will be gone by end of Jan when my support contract is up for renewal.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I will be completely honest and transparent. I don't care whether a company is one-manned or manned by an army of staff and developers, I just care about quality and price. I have hundreds of users who trust me every month when they make their hosting payment that they are paying for me to keep their business functioning on the email end. Email isn't optional or negotiable, it is a necessity. And when there is a breakdown on the server (due to fatigue of drives or a data center failing to live up to their SLA) or an update didn't live up to its expectations, tensions rise. Although almost everyone had been patient while waiting for a fix from ME to address the update with another update or remote support, it is cost-prohibitive (AUP) when a stable version is updated that breaks it and then I'm in a bad position to have to pay for support to fix a bug that wasn't introduced on my part other than me taking a proactive approach to provide secure and stable email hosting service (some providers should do the same).

However, time has been fast approaching that I have lost large clients because of one thing: Exchange-like capabilities and adequate spam filtering by someone else. If it weren't for the extremely expensive costs on my end to provide licensed hosted Exchange or a similar product with supported and quality spam filtering, then I would had switched software years ago. It burns me to be a third-party or middle man for someone else's email service (a reseller) to have to tell clients "Call them for support". For the most part, ME is very reliable and extremely configurable and provided you've worked with it, you're able to resolve issues or at least intelligently diagnose the problems where other software is "I don't know, it is what it is". This is also why I don't route email through a third-party firewall/spam filter to avoid false positives that I can never adjust to satisfy myself and my clients that emails will go through (it sucks when people choose away from a business account in favor of a gmail account only because they feel more secure in uptime and quality filtering). This is also why for YEARS I have begged ME to obtain a copy of MXScan/MXUptime's software because of its great capabilities for spam filtering. MagicSpam sucks. It is either all or nothing with little configuration other than generic spam scores (for every one or none at all). With the software I have continued to use, I can customize it even to the post office level of how much or how little to filter and I can always check logs to see what happened and not to reply to clients "I don't know".

With all that, lately I have been hating to think of a choice that I may have to make to cast off not only income to make with me providing hosting but also a loss of controllable email hosting by selling off/giving away my clients to a competing provider so my clients can get Exchange that is supported and filtered and not just the baked in poor quality filtering. ME's spam filtering is basically as boring and unforgiving as Magic Spam's filters. In fact, I can possibly set the filters in ME to be just as good or better than MagicSpam without the annual cost. Further, I have for the past 16 years continued to pay for the annual upgrade protection with ME so I am eligible for updates and new versions. But just like my esteemed colleagues have said, it burns me when the past 2-3 years there haven't been really any real improvements or benefits other than fixing broken or unsecure stuff in ME. And 2-factor authentication is just another hoop and another support call for me to handle rather than a benefit to my clients.

With that, I have some difficult decisions to make: continue to do what I do and use what I use and keep paying for upgrade protection when it hasn't been a benefit over the recent years OR migrate everyone to someone else and God help us all with how good or bad, cheap or expensive as it can get. POP3 (although needed in basic situations) isn't a reason to keep what I have when almost everyone uses IMAP or webmail to have as near to Exchange-like service. Neither is "you can check your email from your device, webmail, or Outlook" when everyone else including hosted Exchange does all that (and more). I guess it boils down to two things: price and trusting my business to someone else to run. Can I continue to afford to try to be the best when my best is dated as the software?
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

dcol

Post by dcol »

I tend to agree with the users cry for more Exchange like email. I have used MagicSpam for one year, then discontinued it because of the lack of saving rejected emails into a 'special' inbox. Once it is gone, it's gone using MagicSpam. MXspam, although looked promising, is a discontinued product and IMO I feel ME is going the same route. ME could be so much better, but the market has been eaten up by other email software and kind of left ME in the dust. Just bad marketing. One thing that would convince me to stick with ME is if they did away with Premium and put all the features in Enterprise.

kevvyc

Post by kevvyc »

@dcole - why did you give up on SM?

dcol

Post by dcol »

I had issues with SM support. Too long ago to remember the issue, but they refused to fix it and was rather condescending, if I remember, as well. Think it had something to do with the direction they were taking with cloud based services.

kevvyc

Post by kevvyc »

Thanks for the quick response.