MAPI Outlook client is wildly slow [Solved/workaround]

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
Marcusg

MAPI Outlook client is wildly slow [Solved/workaround]

Post by Marcusg »

We've been using Mail Enable with Outlook 2003 clients that pulled mail using IMAP.

We've just installed version four and I've downloaded the beta MAPI client onto a test machine to try to sync up a fresh outlook install with my mail folder.

First of all it takes about 20+ minutes just to open outlook. Secondly, once the "Updating Folder Contents" message goes away none of the message headers have been pulled excepting the newest messages from my inbox. Old Folders do sync.

What's going on?
Last edited by Marcusg on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

*Update*

I created a fresh new test mailbox. Upon initial configuration everything works well and is fast.

I created a new profile in outlook and used the MAPI connector client to point it to the Mail Enable server.

Once I got outlook started I sent a few test e-mails and created some folders, moved mail around etc.

I noticed when moving a message from one folder to another it took a bit of time to perform the action, (more than typical). At first I thought this was just me but as I continued testing I've decided it was the sync operation trying to sync up with the Mail Enable server.

After a bit of this I noticed the MAPI syncing didn't work on calendars and contacts on a two way basis. Meaning when I created a contact or event in Outlook they did NOT sync to Mail Enable.

I thought perhaps this was a misconfiguration so I started over, only I used the same test mailbox. Upon opening outlook with a fresh configuration it exhibited the same behavior as with the account mentioned in the original post of this thread. Only there were only four pieces of mail, three folders, and a calendar event stored on the server!
They never did sync and after about 10 minutes of waiting I gave up.

MailEnable-Nick

Post by MailEnable-Nick »

Hi Marcus,

That is strange behaviour, we haven't experienced anything like that in our testing. Do you have any third party Outlook addins/extensions? Are you able to determine (Task manager perhaps) whether during the slow startup if either the client or the server is overworking?

You could also get a Process Monitor log of what Outlook is doing during that slow startup. If you can, send it through to beta@mailenable.com.

Our connectors own logs could be of use also. If you are able to get into outlook with it again, open the configuration dialog for the MailEnable account and enable the advanced config, and go to the troubleshooting tab. Enable the logging, push the detail to the max, select a location for the output, and then run the test again (the logging is a global setting, not tied to a profile, so you can just enable it on any one working profile and then create a new one to test for the slow startup). zip up the log output directory contents and send it also to beta@mailenable.com.

[edit]: if you can't get into the MailEnable config dialog, you can edit the registry if you are comfortable doing that. Something a lot like the following:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Clients\MAPI\Logging]
"Output Root"="C:\\MAPI Logs"
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
"Scope Filter"=dword:0000000a
"Append"=dword:00000000
A word of warning about logging: it puts out a lot at max logging level, and slows things down enough to notice. It should be turned back off for regular use (or at least the log level set low).

Thanks again for your reports,
Nick.

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

My apologies nick I thought I updated this post with the latest. In short I found a fix/workaround that gets the initial outlook profile to sync correctly.

I noticed shortly after my second post that when you're setting up the MAPI client, if you click "Enable Advanced Configuration", then go to the "Connection" tab, then check "Download entire messages". (*This must be done when setting up the account for the first time in a new outlook profile*).

All of the old messages are downloaded correctly and quickly. From that point forward everything seems to work as expected.

If you'd like me to duplicate the original problem and attach a log I'd be happy to.

MailEnable-Nick

Well I'm glad you found a way around it, although it surprises me... ticking that box should make it slower initially :P I assume you are connecting through a LAN to the server?

If you don't mind reproducing the original problem and sending in logs, that would be good, thank you very much.

Nick.

MailEnable-Nick

Never mind marcus, I just figured it all out :oops:

The logic of that download entire messages was back to front. It will be fixed in the next build. The next build will then cause your existing profiles to behave the way the option should, meaning your fast ones will be slow and your slow ones fast. You might want to recreate a new one with the option off when you get the new build.

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

Will do, glad I could help.