More issues

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
Marcusg

More issues

Post by Marcusg »

When sharing and connecting to a resource we've had some problems.

The first is that anything shared from a "dummy" account and then connected to via mapi, takes up a resource license. This may be by design but it's making evaluation a little annoying. For instance Mike wants to get a copy of the contacts in the mailbox company.contacts. This means that Mike@whatever.com and company.contacts@whatever.com use a mapi license. Even though Mike is technically the only user using mapi, it counts all of the shared mailboxes he's connected to as users too. It pushes you through the five eval licenses pretty quick.

The second happened when we shared contacts and tried to rename the contact folder. A strange error popped up and all the contacts in that box were deleted! From both outlook and the web. You might want to completely intercept and disable any folder renaming in outlook as I can see a world where someone decided to rename a shared resource and it wipes that resource out for the entire organization.

Thanks,
Marcus

PS Sorry I keep blasting holes in your stuff. We want this feature REAAALY REALLY bad though so I'm trying to stay on top of it.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: More issues

Post by MailEnable »

Hi Marcus,

Thanks again for the feedback.

The following builds should resolve your appointment import problems as well as overcoming the rename folder issue you mentioned (thanks). We tested with the pst you supplied and could not find any descrepencies between the source and target calendars.

http://www.mailenable.com/beta/upload/e ... se417h.exe
http://www.mailenable.com/beta/upload/mesetup.exe

The changes/fixes involve both client and server updates.
The 417h server is running in production test environments so it should be stable.

There are still another set of changes to go into the client before it will be formally posted (they are fixes for meeting requests).

Thanks again for your efforts in reporting these problems.
Regards, Andrew

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Note: the initial mesetup posted (about 9 hours ago) had a problem with downloading some messages. If you used it, the messages will indicate that they had not been downloaded from the server. In this case, you should install the now current mesetup from the previously mentioned location and reset the folder from the server.
Regards, Andrew

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

Next deal.

We have a number of programs that use outlook's address book to compile addresses for mass mailing and the like. It seems that the address info isn't being pulled from cache correctly. I doubt you'll have the time ad ability to fix this but in case you were wondering DYMO Label printers and their associated software are a good brand to look at if you ever want to figure this out.

For now I've just completely pulled off of the Mail Enable address book using MAPI for some users. It's just creating too many problems. A quick tally:

-Organizational features are missing, you can't re-arrange names and so on, group contacts into folders, sort by catagories etc. When you have someone with lots of contacts this alone is too much to make ME MAPI worth considering. Secretaries and VPs would be our main victims.
-List syncing doesn't work. Haven't checked this latest version but this is an issue certainly.
-And of course the newest issue. The MAPI cache pst seems to be incompatible with programs that would try and use it. Bummer.

So, like I was saying, for those users who need one of the features that are currently missing I've just created a new pst and had them store contacts in that file rather than MAPI cache. It's a little awkward when creating e-mails but at least all the other points are covered.

I can't imagine this being fixed soon as I know what kinds of bugs your hunting here, they can be elusive. But, if you wouldn't mind adding this to the future feature list that would be nice.

As for this newest update, we'll probably patch the server and clients we have running MAPI tomorrow. I'll let you know if I come up with anything new.
-Marcus