Dismissing calendar events in MAPI 1.20

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
Marcusg

Dismissing calendar events in MAPI 1.20

Post by Marcusg »

It looks like all of the previous problems with the calendar have been sorted out. We've been running 1.20 since release and so far it's all good save for one minor detail.

We have a user who, every morning when she gets in, starts up outlook and dismisses a whole bunch of old calendar reminders, some that are years old. They leave her alone for the day but the next day they pop up again. The problem gets worse when she has outlook open to the same account on two different computers (she occasionally uses another computer). The reminders pop up over and over in that situation.

Am I alone in this?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Dismissing calendar events in MAPI 1.20

Post by MailEnable »

Hi,

I suspect the problem may handling recurrence exceptions (we are looking into a problem with dismissing recurring appts).

Out of curiousity, are are the "undismissable" appointments recurring ones?
Regards, Andrew

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

To my memory yes.

The odd thing is that they're not popping the last or newest recurrence but sometimes a recurrence years ago? Birthdays were one big thing.

Hmnn, all of the sudden I'm having trouble reproducing it ... I'll edit this post if something changes.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Hi Marcus, today we posted an update to the client that resolves the preservation of exceptions for recurring appointments.
Also, versions 1.23 and later will address issues of dismissing recurring appointments.
Regards, Andrew

Marcusg

Post by Marcusg »

This update completely kaked up the guinea installation we had set up. I un-installed the MAPI connector and installed the newest version, then restarted outlook.

Outlook ran for a bit but started crashing. In an effort to get outlook to straighten up I had to ultimately removed the old account and re-added it and then found more problems.

Re-creating the account was full of crashes. When creating the account in outlook, you would finish setting up the client setup page (mail enable configuration) then it would crash outlook and when you restarted push you back into configuration. If you filled out the config settings again it would do this over and over.

When I tried to remove the outlook profile and create a new one through the "mail" tool in Control Panel. I was allowed to re-create the account up until a "Run a DLL as an App" error. Then the Mail tool crashed out. I found out as I went along that the "Enable Public Folders" option was causing outlook and "Run a DLL as an App" errors to occur.

The account configuration popped up continuously on restarts and the connector did not download new messages on the first start even though I had checked the appropriate box.

I found that unchecking "Update folders on startup" and cancelling out of the configuration allowed me to at least get into outlook without it crashing. From this point all of the folders didn't seem to want to download. I started to reset them from server but then outlook crashed again. Somehow, on the next restart it started downloading the old messages and mailbox data.

Once it was all downloaded I the address book did not download some of the entries that DID (and still do) exist on the server, additionally it looks like the server side addresses have no note information. They did originally when these items were imported but now it seems between all the errors and syncing the note fields seem to have been deleted on the server-side making them irretrievable to the client. This is the first time we've noticed the note field issue. It looks like the same address entries with notes are the ones that aren't showing up in 1.23. The sort issues haven't been solved either. When the sync pulled the old mail from the server all of the received dates in folders other than pre installed folders like "Inbox" were set to today's date. Again, the work around was to manually set that folder to sort by send date instead.

This was re-produced when I re-downloaded the executable. I tried to move back to a saved version of 1.22 and all of the same issues were present. I don't have a copy of 1.20 to test. To my memory 1.22 did install correctly (the initial crash didn't happen) but my testing leads me to believe that if I had re-created the account information after upgrading to 1.22 the majority of these problems still would have occurred.

Summary:
-Account configuration crashes if "enable public folders" is selected.
-Contacts are still borked somehow, some are not appearing and don't seem to have synced notes somehow. (at one point ALL fields seemed to sync correctly) I have no idea what happened.
-Something crashed Outlook the first time I ran the ME MAPI 1.23 version after installation. I have no idea what that was. I haven't been able to reproduce it.
-Either the crash mentioned immediately above, or some other unknown error caused the address book to bork up in the profile. I had this user set up with local folders as well as ME server folders, outlook created multiple "Contact" entries under the global address book tool in outlook. This cause it to error out when the user hit the "To:" button in a new message. When the profile was re-created this was resolved albeit at considerable time re-configuring.