Connector and Outlook 2010 observations

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
gregorio

Connector and Outlook 2010 observations

Post by gregorio »

Hi guys,

Thanks much for creating the ME Outlook connector.

Here are some observations and issues I noticed:

(I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Outlook 2010 32-bit, ME Enterprise Premium 5.03, ME Connector 1.33)

1) Depending on what you do under your MAPI account, it can hang Outlook 2010 for a few minutes, or seemingly indefinitely.
Such as:

+ Just opening Outlook, froze it for about a minute (after it finished downloading Inbox mail).
+ Clicking "Public Folders" or "My Files" (on a newly created ME MAPI Outlook account) froze Outlook, indefinitely. Had to end the Outlook process.
+ Clicking "Deleted Items" (on a newly created ME MAPI Outlook account) froze it for several minutes.
+ Menu option "Add-Ins" > "MailEnable" > "Open Resource..." froze Outlook indefinitely. Had to end Outlook process.

2) The error messages that pop up from the tray are semi-useful.

But, can messages like this be more tightly integrated into the Outlook interface itself?

(e.g. maybe present an exclamation point icon, in the mail folder tree view, next to the folder in question-- the folder that can't be synchronized, for example. When clicked, it'll display the error message. Or maybe just have messages display (or be available) in the Outlook status bar somehow.)

3) Can we make it so we can synchronize existing Sent Items (from the server) on a newly set up ME Outlook MAPI account? It doesn't seem to work

4) Can we make Outlook Notes synchronizable?

5) When using the import feature on Outlook (to import a .PST to ME MAPI account)...

(I understand this might be entirely Outlook's fault, but it's still something to consider for Outlook to ME MAPI integration)

The progress window for this is setup poorly. First Outlook freezes. Then the progress window comes up, but it does not give a detailed status on what it is doing exactly (a detailed item by item status would be nice); granted, it does say "importing to Inbox", or something of the like. And, if you accidentally click the Outlook main window, the progress window disappears (behind it). Then you're left with a frozen Outlook window. For the average and inexperienced user, this may end up being very confusing. And, the user may just end the Outlook task because they don't know what's going on.

Also, when importing to your ME MAPI account, the importer doesn't say "import finished" or give you a summary of what was imported. It doesn't tell you anything-- Outlook is simply unfrozen, and you're allowed to use it again. I'm sure users would like to know what happened.

6) Programatically speaking, can folder synchronizing (and other ME Connector activities) be put onto a separate thread? So the entire Outlook process isn't frozen?

Then the user can continue working. And, perhaps have the synchronization progress display in the Outlook status bar.

There's too many times where Outlook freezes (when you interact with your ME MAPI account) and it's not clear exactly why, or what the ME Connector is doing (or trying to do). Again, the user needs to be updated at all times on what's going on.

Thanks again,

Greg
Last edited by gregorio on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gmaoret

Re: Connector and Outlook 2010 observations

Post by gmaoret »

I completely quote...
Gabriele Maoret
SERSIS - Servizi & Sistemi
http://www.sersis.com

Mxhotel.no

Post by Mxhotel.no »

I have tried the ME software ( im useing icewarp 9.4.2 and 10.2.1 ) and the have a sync on the Notes and journal..
For me personaly im useing Notes to store password and links and it great to automaticaly sync it the webmail...

Thanks...

MadCyberRunner

Post by MadCyberRunner »

I'm using
win 7 32 bit professional and Ultimate Danish and English and Outlook 2010 32 Bit Danish and English. ME 4.26 on a 2008 R2 server 64 bit.

I have more than 30 connections with Outlook Mailenable Connector and we have a lot off issues with it freezing from time to time. It can hang in up to 30 seconds some times a few minutes.

It dosen't matter which combination of either Danish / English systems we are using.

We have the same issue with XP and Outlook 2007 Danish versions on another customer.

I'm not sure whether its Outlook or the Connector or MAPI in general.