MAPI Connector implementation of IMAP is SLOW

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
netelligence

MAPI Connector implementation of IMAP is SLOW

Post by netelligence »

I was having issues where moving emails to/from folders or deleting email messages would take 10+ seconds each and cause Outlook to switch to "not responding" and a popup would come up saying something to the effect that it is updating..... I was blaming this on Outlook. I upgraded from Outlook 2010 to 2013 only to have the same problem. Yes, I have a rather large number of messages throughout many folders.

However I found that when I created a new profile and used Outlook to connect to ME via IMAP without the ME MAPI connector, then email was super fast. Deleting and moving emails happened instantly. The status bar of Outlook lets me know what is going on and no popup. So this has shown me that the ME MAPI connector is the culprit and not Outlook. It appears to me that the ME MAPI implementation of IMAP is trying to do everything synchronously where Outlook's implementation is asynchronous.

This is a huge problem. I can't sell a solution like this to my clients. I would use Outlook as is without the MAPI connector, but then syncing calendar and contacts is a problem. For now, I personally have started using a client called "eM Client". It does my email thru IMAP perfectly and it syncs calendar and contacts thru CalDav and CardDav. I've come to like it, but that's not going to work for my clients who think they have to use Outlook.

Funny thing is Outlook has always been criticized for how poorly it does IMAP.... so I'm surprised that ME implementation of IMAP for their MAPI Connector is worse.

Please fix. If there is anything I can do to help, I'm willing.

togokle

Re: MAPI Connector implementation of IMAP is SLOW

Post by togokle »

Hi,
i have the same problem. Do you have some news?

thank you
Luca

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Are you running version 1.64 of the MAPI connector? Also disable any Antivirus software that is scanning POP, IMAP and SMTP ports and disable the AV Outlook plugins for anti spam.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Photorer

Post by Photorer »

I have the same problem, and have been regularly having to delete and re-create my Outlook profile about once a month, because this slow implementation is causing the profile to become corrupted. This is a serious headache, as mails that I think have been sent never go, and simply vanish! Then I need to go re-create my Outlook profile, and things work again (SLOWLY)!

I cannot continue with this slow implementation, and am seriously considering moving to Office365 with Exchange.

I am using the 1.64 version of Mapi, with the latest copy of Mailenable Enterprise.................

Outlook 2013 offers an option to connect to Exchange compatible services - however this does not work with Mailenable. Why?

rozza6

Post by rozza6 »

Hi Guys,

I know this is a fairly old thread but did anyone manage to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same symptoms with a newly installed server, I have moved the customer from O365 to ME and the customer is now really jumping up and down due to the time it's taking to delete emails.

Many Thanks

Paul

Photorer

Post by Photorer »

Still no resolution on this from my side.

If the internet connection is a little slow, then this problem becomes aggravated. MAPI Connector does appear to be the problem.

This occurs on accounts with large volumes of email, as well as those with only a couple of mails, so this is definitely a problem that Mailenable needs to solve.

dlindsey78

Post by dlindsey78 »

In my experience, the MAPI connector has definitely seen improvements in speed especially in 2.0. The problem appears, for me at least, to be the way the backend server processes work. Mailenable uses a single file per message and this can cause a huge amount of disk usage. This is mostly seen when MAPI clients are synching their mailboxes or deleting/moving messages

I only have about 700 mailboxes, but I was getting speed complaints. Look at Resource Monitor or something to monitor disk usage and look at queue times and utilization %. I recently moved the mailbox storage to a new SAS 15k raid5 and this directly solved my long queue times and almost 100% utilization all the time.

Latest mailenable enterprise and 90% clients use the mapi connector.

Dan

dlindsey78

Post by dlindsey78 »

To rozza6:

In regards to the O365 to MailEnable... I have done this exact thing and learned the hard way.
#1 the client was used to 20+GB mailboxes with 20,000 messages in the inbox alone.
#2 Exchange uses an OST file that is used as a locally stored cache. It is MUCH better at handling large mailboxes than mapi.

Most days the customer would come to office and open Outlook. In about 30 minutes they would finally see new messages. The behavior was the mapi connector was updating the inbox and it just took that long before it got to the NEW mail.

We moved them back to O365 and they are happy. I must point out that this type of mailbox usage is quite common with people that have been using exchange. They use their email as a realtime archiving solution and never delete anything ever. These are all user education items and, as I'm sure you know, getting this through to the end user is impossible sometimes when it comes to Email usage.

Dan