MAPI Connector locking account

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
pmnit

MAPI Connector locking account

Post by pmnit »

I had a strange problem that I am unable to resolve. A users account got hacked and spammers were using the account to send spam out of our server. We caught it right away and changed the users password. However, the spammers then kept causing the account to get locked out. So we decided to give the user a new account and use the old email address as an alias for the new account. We have done this in the past with POP3 users and it works well. This user however, was using the MAPI Connector on their PC and IMAP on their phone.

At first we just updated the MAPI connector to use the users new login credentials. This seemed to work fine except now even the new account was getting locked out. We ruled out the phone by simply turning it off. With Outlook on the PC closed, we monitored the account and it did not get locked out. Shortly after starting Outlook the account would get locked.

So we had narrowed it down to Outlook on the PC doing it. Cleared out the the Outlook profile and started over. Uninstalled and reinstalled the MAPI connector. Built a new Outlook profile and BAM, same thing. Account locked. Rebooted, uninstalled the MAPI connector, rebooted, stripped out all the leftover directory settings and directories related to Mail Enable that we could find. Rebooted, reinstalled and tried again. Same thing, the account would get locked within a few seconds of starting Outlook. It seems like the MAPI connector is sending the old credentials from somewhere. Although I cannot prove that.

Stripped it all out again and setup the user using POP3 and no problems. This would be fine except we need the MAPI protocol to work correctly for this user.

Does anyone have any ideas on where else to look or have any ideas about how to run this issue down?

pmnit

Re: MAPI Connector locking account

Post by pmnit »

I did some more testing today. I renamed the user's Windows profile and started a brand new fresh and clean profile. Sames results. So it would seem to me that the MAPI connector is caching some bad information somewhere in either the registry or in the Windows file system outside of the user's profile. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look?

pmnit

Re: MAPI Connector locking account

Post by pmnit »

This "appears" to be a defect of some kind as I was able to easily recreate it on a different computer running a different O/S and version of Outlook. I have put in a defect incident request. Hopefully the ME guys will be able to run this down.