EMail Not Saving to Send Folder

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
smccarthy945

EMail Not Saving to Send Folder

Post by smccarthy945 »

When I am using Outlook and the Mailenable MAPI connector, when I send an email it often is not saved in the SENT folder or any other SENT folder. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. This is a big problem because I often need to go back and reference emails I sent and I can't find them. When I use Thunderbird with IMAP, the email is ALWAYS saved in the SENT folder every single time.

Is there a setting I need to adjust in Outlook? Is this a known issue with Outlook? Is there anyway to fix this? I am afraid this is going to get me in big trouble one day and I really need to fix this. I also need to use Outlook because of corporate plug-ins and software that is used with Outlook so I don't have a choice to use Thunderbird.

I used Thunderbird for testing and it works perfectly. Everything else works in Outlook except saving sent messages to the SENT folder.

I am running Outlook 2016. I have tried every version from 2010 and the same issue.

PLEASE HELP!

smccarthy945

Re: EMail Not Saving to Send Folder

Post by smccarthy945 »

One other point I want to make on this. When I send the email, the email will move into the SENT ITEMS folder, however, the next time Outlook syncs the folder ALL the recent sent items are GONE. For example, I had 10 messages I sent yesterday and today and when I went to look in the SENT ITEMS folder, the messages were there and then the system synced the folder and the only new messages I see are from 3 weeks ago.

Where in the hell is it moving my SENT ITEMS to? They appear in the sent items after I send them but then dissapear minutes later and I can't find them.

Scott

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The issue will be that the command used during the SMTP DATA transaction to save to sent items is being intercepted by a firewall or proxy and dropping the command. The command is named MESAVETOSENT. The work around here would be to configure the MailEnable SMTP service to listen on alternative port (2525) and then configure the MAPI client to connect to SMTP on that port.

You can enable the MAPI client side log files for more information and to see if the MESAVETOSENT command is failing (search the log files for MESAVETOSENT. To enable the client side log files please see the following article: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=me020589
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

That actually makes a lot of sense. Let me try and not filter the SMTP port and see if I can get this to work. I have control over the firewall so I should be able to fix this. I will try to bypass the firewall filtering on the SMTP port and see if it works.

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

So I reprogrammed the firewall not to strip out SMTP or interfere with any SMTP traffic and it looks like it's working. I am going to watch it through the day but I see all the SENT items being kept in the folder and not dropping out. So far so good. I will let you know if that fixed it after I run for a couple days without any issues.

Scott

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

OK, so after I turned off SMTP filtering on the firewall that protects the email server, it's working. SENT messages are staying in the folder and not disappearing anymore. Just a suggestion as it's pretty common for firewalls to filter SMTP commands, is there anyway to build a "check" into your client so you can run a pre-check to make sure all commands make it back and forth to the server? This is a tool that would check for any firewall issues before you deploy the Mailenable client?

This was a big source of frustration for me for a while and you are the 1st person to properly figure out the problem. I want to thank you for your efforts. Maybe there is a way you can build a check in so it alerts the user if a port or command gets blocked. Losing email can be devastating and cost someone their job if they can't find a copy of a sent item. Just a thought. I know had I not been able to find a sent item that was being contended it could mean losing a client.

I am sure developing for Outlook is challenging and no easy task. I find that the DAV technologies with Thunderbird work so much better but I need Outlook to function in the corporate world unfortunately.

Scott

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

Bad news. My SENT items for TODAY just dissapeared again after the folder synced so opening the port didn't work. I turned on logging and am going to look at the logs when it happens again and will post. This is really going to hurt me one day.

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

This is what appears in the logs with troubleshooting turned on:

2017-09-26 15:27:16.751 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with MAPI_W_ERRORS_RETURNED
2017-09-26 15:27:16.751 ME-IXXXX: (12188) [SynchroniseFolder] Event Driven Synchronisation Request for: Sent Items.
2017-09-26 15:27:16.751 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with S_OK
2017-09-26 15:27:16.846 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with MAPI_W_ERRORS_RETURNED
2017-09-26 15:27:16.846 ME-IXXXX: (12188) [SynchroniseFolder] Event Driven Synchronisation Request for: Sent Items.
2017-09-26 15:27:16.847 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with S_OK
2017-09-26 15:27:16.875 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with MAPI_W_ERRORS_RETURNED
2017-09-26 15:27:16.875 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with MAPI_W_ERRORS_RETURNED
2017-09-26 15:27:16.876 ME-IXXXX: (12188) [SynchroniseFolder] Event Driven Synchronisation Request for: Sent Items.
2017-09-26 15:27:16.963 ME-EXXXX: (12188) [_HrGetOneProp] _HrGetOneProp return with MAPI_W_ERRORS_RETURNED
2017-09-26 15:27:16.963 ME-IXXXX: (12188) [SynchroniseFolder] Event Driven Synchronisation Request for: Sent Items.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support