I'm Almost Done..

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
smccarthy945

I'm Almost Done..

Post by smccarthy945 »

Between the problems with Outlook crashing with the Mailenable connector and trying to figure out why SENT items disapear into the ethos, I am almost ready to give up with this email server. I have tried everything - bypassing SMTP port, reconfiguring firewall, etc, etc, etc. Outlook constantly crashes and my SENT items mysteriously disappear. This has been going on since I have owned this server for over 2 years and no one can tell me why. I thought the firewall thing would do it but no luck.

When I run Outlook on IMAP - rock solid. When I switch to Mailenable's connector - CRASH CRASH CRASH. Sent items go nowhere. I only have so much time troubleshooting an email server and at this point it's almost to the point where it's more efficient to pay MS for Exchange hosting.

Can anyone help me fix this or should I just give up?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: I'm Almost Done..

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Please try the latest connector I posted to your reply here and ensure your running 9.77 MailEnable server:

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41127
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

Yea, I always am running the latest connector. Upgrading the email server is something I can't do right away. It'takes time and planning. I will upgrade it as soon as a I can. I have machines running the connector with Outlook 2010 and it doesn't crash but now they can't REPLY ALL. I know it's a bug but just another issue to deal with. Outlook 2016 client just crash constantly - at least 5 times a day.

Look, you guys market this as an Exchange alternative it has to be as easy or easier to deal with from the client side as Exchange. I sure have a new level of appreciation for the way Microsoft designed their ActiveSync connector and the fact it can run through firewalls and all kinds of situations without needing a ton of troubleshooting.

After over a year of losing SENT items, it seems like I finally have it fixed after changing the port from 25. What a nightmare that was. By some miracle, I didn't get fired for not being able to produce a SENT item email. Thank GOD for Thunderbird. Now, all I need is for Outlook to stop crashing 3 x 5 times a day especially when I am in the middle of writing a long email to see it crash and go away.

Look guys, I get how challenging software can be. I used to program. But I also see man things here that can be done to avoid these headaches. If you know port 25 doesn't work for your client software, just require a different port by default. Also, your Outlook connector has to be ROCK solid if you are going to take on Exchange.

I like your product and the back end server is super stable and easy to use. I just wish the Outlook connector wasn't so difficult.

smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

I think I have the SENT ITEMS issue solved by changing the SMTP port from 25 to 465. The SENT ITEMS seem to work now and are not disappearing anymore. However, Outlook is constantly crashing on me. I run Outlook with standard IMAP and no problems. I go back to the connector and crashing.

I am running the latest connector with Outlook 2016 32 bit. Is there anything else I can do? I am going to upgrade the server to the latest version as soon as I can but I can't image a server upgrade is going to do much to help with Outlook crashing?

Is there anything else I can do to eliminate this Outlook crashing issue? I run Thunderbird with IMAP and it works perfectly as well.