Different Ways to Connect Outlook?

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
smccarthy945

Different Ways to Connect Outlook?

Post by smccarthy945 »

I have a couple questions about Outlook and connecting to Mailenable server. Because I am having so much trouble with the mailenable connector and honestly have never seen it work 100% in all the years I have run mailenable without issues, I prefer to run Outlook without the connector. It's not a knock against your product - it's just been my experience.

So my questions are the following:

1. Using Outlook w/IMAP and CalDav:
I have been running Outlook with IMAP and then using CalDav to sync the calendar. I am sure I can find a contact dav connector to sync the contacts. This seems to be very stable but the connector I am using is kind of a pain because it always pops up errors. It's called CalDav Synchronizer for Outlook. It works great overall minus the errors.

2. Using ActiveSync Directly?
Is it possible to use the built in Outlook ActiveSync connector to connect to Mailenable or is this not possible? Can you sync with Outlook's built in ActiveSync instead of using the Mailenable connector assuming you have the Active Sync licenses on the Mailenable server? I think this will be the best solution if this is possible. I haven't had any luck making this work but if it can be done I will do it.

3. Mailenable Connector
Like I said, I haven't ever been able to get the mailenable connector to run stable. I finally was able to fix the disappearing sent items and other problems but never had much luck getting it totally stable. Outlook is super stable when I run IMAP and CalDav. I use email such much I just can't afford crashing because it sets my work back so much.

So what is the best option? Is native ActiveSync possible with Outlook? I know I can connect my IPhone using the built in Active Sync. Or should I stay with IMAP and CalDav? Or if I put a ticket in, is it possible to get the mailenable connector stable?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Different Ways to Connect Outlook?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
1. Using Outlook w/IMAP and CalDav:
I have been running Outlook with IMAP and then using CalDav to sync the calendar. I am sure I can find a contact dav connector to sync the contacts. This seems to be very stable but the connector I am using is kind of a pain because it always pops up errors. It's called CalDav Synchronizer for Outlook. It works great overall minus the errors.
Check out the Open Protocols connector located here: http://www.arpdev.com. It will provide full Outlook sync via IMAP and CalDAV.
2. Using ActiveSync Directly?
Is it possible to use the built in Outlook ActiveSync connector to connect to Mailenable or is this not possible? Can you sync with Outlook's built in ActiveSync instead of using the Mailenable connector assuming you have the Active Sync licenses on the Mailenable server? I think this will be the best solution if this is possible. I haven't had any luck making this work but if it can be done I will do it.
Microsoft Outlook 2013 onward allows you to configure accounts to connect to third party EAS servers. Therefore yes, you can deploy ActiveSync on the MailEnable server and Sync the client via EAS. Perhaps you should enable the 30 days ActiveSync evaluation on the server and test to see if this meet your needs.
3. Mailenable Connector
Like I said, I haven't ever been able to get the mailenable connector to run stable. I finally was able to fix the disappearing sent items and other problems but never had much luck getting it totally stable. Outlook is super stable when I run IMAP and CalDav. I use email such much I just can't afford crashing because it sets my work back so much.

So what is the best option? Is native ActiveSync possible with Outlook? I know I can connect my IPhone using the built in Active Sync. Or should I stay with IMAP and CalDav? Or if I put a ticket in, is it possible to get the mailenable connector stable?
Please reply to your open ticket and provide examples of the current MAPI connector problems and we can further help.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support