Bug ME 7.05: w3wp.exe -ap "MailEnableEASPool" 100% CPU

MailEnable Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - for EAS enabled devices (including iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Android, Nokia, etc).
kiamori

Bug ME 7.05: w3wp.exe -ap "MailEnableEASPool" 100% CPU

Post by kiamori »

task manager process "command line" is as follows:
w3wp.exe -ap "MailEnableEASPool" -v "v2.0" -l "webengine4.dll" -a \\.\pipe\(###) -h "C:\inetpub\temp\apppools\MailEnableEASPool.config" -w "" -m 1 -t 20

Process Monitor shows a lot of entries like this
HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Administration NAME NOT FOUND

It should not be looking for Wow6432Node under HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE this is an impossible registry location.

also see some NO SUCH FILE entries for POSTOFFICES directory \MAILROOT\user\Folder\_folder.dty

TEMP SOLUTION:
enable processor Affinity and specify processor cores to use(via Decimal entry) under IIS MMC >> Application Pools >> MailEnableEASPool >> Advanced Settings

for example set
Processor Affinity Enabled "True"
Processor Affinity Mask (see below)
1 = CPU core #1
3 = CPU cores #1&2
7 = CPU cores #1,2&3
15 = CPU cores #1,2,3&4
etc...

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Bug ME 7.05: w3wp.exe -ap "MailEnableEASPool" 100% CPU

Post by MailEnable »

It would be good to upgrade to Version 7.07 since it has some improved logging that may give an indication as to the client activity that is causing the activity.
See: IMP: Improved logging for protocols managed under IIS (ActiveSync, calDAV, cardDAV, etc) - there are additional logs under the HTTPMail logging directory

The change basically produces a new log for IIS activity under the HTTPMail folder. The log may give some indication as to which clients are connected at the time of high CPU and possibly what commands are bing issued to the server. The ActiveSync debugging may also give an indication, perhaps you could enable that path in process monitor so you may see which clients are involved.
Regards, Andrew