Password Issue With Web Administration

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
Ptarver

Password Issue With Web Administration

Post by Ptarver »

I keep running into a problem where if I login to the Web Administration screens using the Artic skin in FireFox, choose a postoffice, then click on Mailboxes and edit an email account in any way and hit save button, it will save any changes I made, but it updates the password for the email account to the password with which I logged into Web Administration.

Obviously this is causing some serious problems especially since it took a while for me to figure out what was going on and at that point 20 or 25 email accounts in various postoffices had been changed to my super admin password.

Is this something that is a bug or a problem with the skin, or a problem with Firefox? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Paul :D

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Password Issue With Web Administration

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I have tried reproducing the same steps in version 9.74 of Enterprise without success. It works correctly where the password for the mailbox that is edited in the alternative postoffice does not change. Therefore what version of MailEnable are you running? Does this occur with other browsers or just Firefox?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Ptarver

Post by Ptarver »

Hi Ian,

I am running MailEnable Enterprise 9.54. I did some testing based on your recommendations and I think I've isolated the problem, but still not sure how to fix it or whether it is even something MailEnable can help me with.

The first thing I did was try to login to Web Administration using Chrome and once logged in, I picked a test email account I could change without affecting anyone. I clicked the Edit button and I noticed that when the edit window popped up, the email account password was blank. I noticed it because that is not usually what happens when I do the same thing on FireFox. Next I edited the redirect setting and saved the changes. Then I verified the email password didn't change.

Next I when into Firefox and repeated the process with the same email account and this time when the Edit window popped up, I noted that the password was filled in. This time when I edited the redirect settings I confirmed the password had been changed to be the same as my login password. I reset the password to the original password and tried one more time.

This time (still in Firefox), I logged out of LastPass (which I use for more secure passwords) and repeated the whole process with by editing the account (password field was blank this time when the edit window came up), changing the redirect settings and clicking save. This time I confirmed the password for the account was unchanged.

So, what I think is happening is that when the Edit window pops up, LastPass sees the request for a password and it supplies the password that goes with that domain but because the password is hidden behind asterisks, I didn't have a visual cue that anything had changed.

I think I need to figure out if LastPass has an autofill override that I can turn off for the domain where my Web Admin resides. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks for you help on this!
Paul Tarver
Tarver Program Consultants, Inc.

Ptarver

Post by Ptarver »

FYI, LastPass does have an AutoFill override that can be controlled domain by domain. Once I set this to turn off autofill, the problem went away.

Sorry for wasting your time, Ian, but I am really glad I got this figured out as it was beginning to be a real problem. Maybe this will help someone else who is using LastPass.
Paul Tarver
Tarver Program Consultants, Inc.