Emails disappearing.

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
Nomad

Emails disappearing.

Post by Nomad »

Good day.

I had posted this a few weeks back but can't seem to find it, so I apologize for a double post.

We have a very weird issue with ME and emails disappearing. On the 11th of this month, an email was sent and received (into the inbox) for a user. While she was on the phone, it just disappeared from her inbox. She had not even read it (i.e. opened it).

She saw it just vanish while chatting on the phone.

Her email client was Thunderbird. When this happened on the 11th of this month, we installed Outlook 2016 which she was using today.

Well it just happened again this morning, so I am pretty sure it's not the Mapi client.

There are no viruses or malware on her system or the server at all. This ME server has been running flawlessly for years and has never had any problems of any kind at all.

She is a very knowledgeable user and I fully believe her when she says it just "vanished'.

There is no mailbox cleanup process, we do all Virus and Spam Scanning on a Front End server so it's not that,

Our server logs show the message arriving at the server and being delivered to the inbox. I've performed searches on the entire hard drive where the PO folders are located for the message ID, nowhere to be found.

If anyone has any hint as to what is happening please let me know - this causes me a great deal of concern.

Thanks for reading.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emails disappearing.

Post by Admin »

You can check the audit log first to see what sort of client deleted or moved the email. The audit logs can be accessed through webmail or just directly on the server under:

Mail Enable\Config\Audit\[postoffice]\[mailbox]

It is possible there is another client connected at the time, or a client that has filters that is removing or moving the email after it arrives. So it is worth checking the junk email folder.

Nomad

Re: Emails disappearing.

Post by Nomad »

Thank you for the response, it's is appreciated.

Checked Server Side and there are no filters enabled for this particular user and as far as we can tell there are not Filters Client SIde.

Unfortunately, we did not have Auditing Turned on!

Interestingly, just got a call from another user that uses Web-mail exclusively - no Thunderbird, Outlook or other Mapi client

He just had exactly the same thing happen, just vanished. We checked his Cell Phone and there are no filters that we can find (iPhone 7).

As mentioned in my post, this server has been running for years and has same user for over 2 years without incident.

We've now enabled Auditing, hopefully it will help to pin things down. is there anything else we can check?

Thanks again for the assist.