Inbox Size Sync Issue

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Inbox Size Sync Issue

Post by Tech49 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Good Afternoon,

We have a mailbox user that keeps exceeding his allocated inbox size (2 GB's). When this occurs, he cleans up the inbox and reduces it to as low as 1.4 GB's sometimes. But for some reason, the Mail Enable server doesn't seem to notice the change and continues to list his inbox as being over the limit.

After reading some older posts, here is what I attempted so far:

1. Deleted the _DIRSIZE.TMP files located in \POSTOFFICES\Client\MAILROOT\ClientInbox and \POSTOFFICES\Client\MAILROOT\EmailUser\Inbox

2. Deleted the .XML index file located in \POSTOFFICES\Client\MAILROOT\EmailUser\Inbox

3. Checked the permissions on the MAILROOT folder and verified that the IME_Admin account had full access to this folder as well as all child folders and objects. I even pushed the permissions down again just to be safe.

4. Ran a comparison of what his local Outlook inbox showed for subfolder sizes versus what the MailEnable folder for this user showed because his .OST file was showing that it is currently 1.6 GB's.

Client's Computer/OST vs What the Server Says is in there:

Inbox 726MB------920MB
Deleted 9.4MB-------15MB
Sent 467MB------613MB
Sent Items 271MB------352MB
Sent Messages 165MB---217MB

I can't figure out if this is a sync or permissions issue. It's very odd. Please let me know what other troubleshooting steps I can take or if anyone else has ever experienced this before.

Site Admin
Posts: 9322
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Inbox Size Sync Issue

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:47 am


By default the quota enumeration size setting is set to "All mail users folders count towards quota". Therefore did you delete the DIRSIZE.TMP file in the root mailbox folder? Also what version of MailEnable are you running?

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: Inbox Size Sync Issue

Post by Tech49 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Hello Ian,

I did delete the DIRSIZE.TMP file in the root of the mailbox folder. We are on the latest version of MailEnable. We just migrated the whole server onto a new virtual server running Server 2016.

I did find a resolution to the issue though. I had to create a new POP email profile for the user. Once everything downloaded, the inbox size updated immediately after restarting the POP service on the MailEnable service. It seems something in the client's previous mailbox or profile was causing the issue. Everything is all set now.

Thanks for the response Ian.

Post Reply