SMTP mysteriously requires authorization of List Members to send email

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
DougH

SMTP mysteriously requires authorization of List Members to send email

Post by DougH » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:21 am

I am running Mailenable Standard, vs. 10,29 now (upgraded trying to solve this problem). I have been running only the listserv mail forwarding portion of this application for a volunteer group, on a volunteer basis. The application is blocking users who's email address exists on the list. The error is that the email from the outside is rejected because the server requires authorization. This is a new problem after a relatively trouble free 5 years of running this list.

My SMTP settings are:

Inbound
Port settings: Port 25 "Always allow authentication." I have tried "Never allow authentication" with no better success.
Inbound IP Bindings is for all available. Only IPv4.

Relay
Allow Mail Relay checked. Allow relay for local sender addresses checked (on the theory a list member will have their email on the server for verification).

SMTP Advanced
Inbound Authentication - set to "Do not require authentication."

Security
Checked are:
Sender email domain must be local or resolvable by DNS
Authenticated senders mus use address from their postoffice
Disable all cathchalls.
Limit number of recipients per hour to 100 per hour.

PTR record check set to "Reject senders without PTR."

Any idea why persons with an e-mail in the postoffice/list is stopped by SMTP for failing to authenticate?

Thank you.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: SMTP mysteriously requires authorization of List Members to send email

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi,

Firstly your relay settings set to "Allow relay for local senders" is not recommended as this will open your server up for relay and allow spammers to spam through your server without the need to authenticate. This will potentially cause your servers IP address to be blacklisted. Set the relay to "Allow relay for authenticated senders".

Can you provide log snippets of the inbound message hitting the list server service? How have you configured the lists "Options"? Is is set to "Anyone can post to this list"? Do you have a copy of the bounce message containing the failure when sending to the list address?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

DougH

Post by DougH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 am

Hi and thanks for your response. I will work on sending you information tomorrow. The logs as I recall, just say failed due to authentication failure.

DougH

Post by DougH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Ian,

At this point no mail is even getting received. I have run diagnostics and under the SMTP Inbound Bindings Test it indicates:

[IP]530 mail.lcacs.org ESMTP MailEnable Service. . .. denied access at [current date]

Is this a clue to my problem? No idea how to fix it.

Doug

DougH

Post by DougH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Ian,

The list options are now set to allow only list members to post. I have changed the relay authentication setting as you recommended. Stuck with no e-mails getting to the SMTP server, so nothing is being generated in the logs.

Thanks.

Doug

DougH

Post by DougH » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 am

Ian,

I have solved this problem today by reinstalling the OS. Thank you.

Doug