How to block inbound mail when from address has been forged

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Alyson_J

How to block inbound mail when from address has been forged

Post by Alyson_J »

Hi

I have been receiving UCE from someone who is forging the from address to match one of my users.

The IP address of the offender was not in my blacklist.

How can I block the offender? Is it as simple as adding the IP Address to the blacklist or is there another way to do this, as the from address comes from one of my domains - If I block that then I won't receive email from my forms on my website which come in from the web component.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Aly

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Do you mean they are sending out email from your server to other addresses? If this is the case, you need to disable "Allow relay for local senders" in the SMTP options to prevent this. If you do this, remember that you will probably need to enable "Allow relay for authenticated senders" and get your users to turn on SMTP authentication on their email client.

If the person is just sending UCE to an address you have configured, there is really not too much you can do, other than ban the IP address. This is because the mail server does not know whether it is unsolicited or not. Future versions of ME will have more filtering options which would help if you know details about the email you wish to reject. Banning the IP address will work, unless the user is able to change their IP (which is probably likely if there are on dial-up).

Post by Guest »

No sorry I meant it is all in bound - although some have tried the relay settings are solid and nothing gets out unless authenticated etc.

It would be usefull if the system included the ability to link to blocklists which would assist in blocking out a lot of UCE, UBE.

I've blocked on IP Addresses.

Thanks for the reply.

Aly