Mail.app Macintosh OS X 10.4 SMTP problems

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
beyoyo

Mail.app Macintosh OS X 10.4 SMTP problems

Post by beyoyo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:41 pm

I frequently get an SMTP error when trying and send an email with attachment on my Macintosh using Mail.app. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Mail.app offers to send using an alternate account or SMTP server. So I select another account that is using the SAME SMTP server... and it sends. HOW? I don't get it.

This happens sporadically but on a daily basis and is seemingly impossible to nail down a reason why this could be occuring.

When I am just sending a text email w/o attachment, everything is working fine.

My initial thought is that the Mail.app is sending a request too quickly for MailEnable to have time to respond correctly and thus giving the error. But if that is the case, then I should be getting the error when I send a text only email as well. So maybe it is the way the Mail.app attachment is being processed?

Any insight on this matter would be a great help.
TY

cszeto

Post by cszeto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:18 am

If there is any networking equipment in between (e.g. router), then taking a look at its firmware or MTU might be in order.
Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

beyoyo

Post by beyoyo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Yes, I have a gigabit switch. I will check it out.

beyoyo

Post by beyoyo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:04 pm

Everything is up-to-date. I wonder if it has to do with the Firewall on the server.

I am having problems sending text only email now as well.

cszeto

Post by cszeto » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:35 pm

The firewall/router is usually the most likely culprit, but the gigabit switch could also be a factor. One thing to "try" with the switch is to "hard code" the line speeds, if it is currently set for "auto detect" on either the switch or the NIC.
Last edited by cszeto on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beyoyo

Still a problem

Post by beyoyo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Ok.. now its been over a year and still having the same problem... except is is any email. This is especially the case when I first start Mail.app. It never sends... If I pick a different account to send from, even if it is from the same web site, it sends.. How weird is that.

Also, my clients who I am hosting that use Macs with OS X are having the exact same problem...

So I doubt it has to do with the connection to the internet.

We are running 1.981 Standard.

cszeto

Post by cszeto » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 pm

After a year and for the sake of your "clients", the most sensible thing may be to start a support ticket for the sake of providing a good service to your "clients" as there appears to be no charge, if it is actually a turns out to be a ME functionality issue.

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=14898