Pop service randomly stops

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
ericcrowl

Post by ericcrowl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:33 am

Same issue here... vanilla Windows Server 2003, all hotfixes + service packs. Latest version of mailenable...

JensonF1

Post by JensonF1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:44 am

Does anybody else think the MailEnable site admins aren't actually taking any notice to what we say?

They just keep posting the same 'solutions' every time...i.e. apply the hotfix, blah blah blah.

Its really annoying...I'm temped to uninstall this insecure bloody software once and for all.

zachjones

Same problem...

Post by zachjones » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:06 pm

I am using GoDaddy for my virtual Windows 2003 dedicated server. Large client whom site and email I host (about 100 accounts) recently called and said email was not receiving - I restart server and it comes back. It is a huge embarrasment and inconvenience for the client.

I agree - the staff here doesn't seem to care. I am fairly new to hosting so I am very confused and worried about getting a solution.

Has anyone tried re-installing the software?

JensonF1

Post by JensonF1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Bump :evil:

computek

Post by computek » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 pm

BUMP

I have been running MailEnable Professional for the past 3 years and have never run into this situation. Starting about a month ago our POP service began stopping aswell. I have installed the most recent hotfixes today in hopes that it would solve the problem, but from the looks of this 6 page thread that is not going to resolve the issue.

If ME doesn't get their act together it looks like there will be a good amount of customers finding a new mail server software.
Jeremy Carnahan
PurgHost : Hosting from $3.95/month

panuunap

Who uses GoDaddy like me

Post by panuunap » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:03 pm

I am using GoDaddy with Virtual Dedicated Server, Windows 2003, Plesk 7.5. I worry after my server has problems since 1 November 2006. I cannot eat and sleep, very unhappy. My customers do not trust in my server.

I would like to know who uses GoDaddy like me. And what problems did you encounter? Are servers and staffs of GoDaddy good for services?
I have about 100 domain names. Should I use hosting reseller instead of Virtual Dedicated Server? So that I do not need to monitor the server. I am a web designer. But now I cannot do my work. I have to repair the server problems. Is it good to rent hosting reseller?

For MailEnable POP Service
What are the exact problems for MailEnable POP Service stopped? Hacker or Virus or Windows or .... please help me.

computek

Re: Who uses GoDaddy like me

Post by computek » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:30 pm

panuunap wrote:Should I use hosting reseller instead of Virtual Dedicated Server? So that I do not need to monitor the server. I am a web designer. But now I cannot do my work. I have to repair the server problems. Is it good to rent hosting reseller?

For MailEnable POP Service
What are the exact problems for MailEnable POP Service stopped? Hacker or Virus or Windows or .... please help me.
Understand that it is not GoDaddy that is the problem. If you use a service that is using MailEnable for their mail server you are going to experience the same problem. If it is invading your life on such a large scale you should think about finding a provider that uses something like IMail (http://www.ipswitch.com) as it has never done me wrong, just far too expensive for my taste.[/url]
Jeremy Carnahan
PurgHost : Hosting from $3.95/month

alberto

Post by alberto » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:09 am

after several days in pop3 dumps even with the latest update I've found a nice gdbot on the system....
That's not the first time that I've been hacked via mailenable. Damn Hell.

Please provide a Damn Patch.

ME Standard.
I've got several errors in the System Event Viewer

supra2800

Post by supra2800 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:34 pm

alberto wrote:after several days in pop3 dumps even with the latest update I've found a nice gdbot on the system....
That's not the first time that I've been hacked via mailenable. Damn Hell.

Please provide a Damn Patch.

ME Standard.
I've got several errors in the System Event Viewer
How did you find that gdbot error?
Would like to check if I might have it as well...

rohit11

Problem still persists

Post by rohit11 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:03 am

I've noticed the problem in ent 3.32
MEPOPS.EXE increases 300+ mb & then crashes

any solution?

tradergordo

Post by tradergordo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm

computek wrote:BUMP

I have been running MailEnable Professional for the past 3 years and have never run into this situation. Starting about a month ago our POP service began stopping aswell. I have installed the most recent hotfixes today in hopes that it would solve the problem, but from the looks of this 6 page thread that is not going to resolve the issue.

If ME doesn't get their act together it looks like there will be a good amount of customers finding a new mail server software.
Any tips/resolution to this? I know some of these posts are quite old. But my situation is identical. Been using maileneable standard for years, always worked great, in fact I would highly recommend it to anyone. Then all of a sudden, in the last month, the pop service hangs randomly, several times a week. I don't know if I'm being hacked or what is going on. I have the latest .exe and the latest hotfix installed, but that made no difference.

Would REALLY appreciate any feedback, or suggestions for alternative, similar software.

p.s. I'm running windows 2003. As far as I know, there was no miscrosoft update that occured just before this problem started. I just use the standard microsoft built in firewall. No special software running that I can think of that would interfere with mailenable. Nothing installed recently that I can think of that would account for the problem.
Last edited by tradergordo on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rohit11

Post by rohit11 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:28 pm

[quote="tradergordo"]
Any tips/resolution to this? I know some of these posts are quite old. But my situation is identically.[/quote]

I received a response from ME team and upgraded my ME Ent to 2.50
Waiting for the problem to re-occur

Suggestion: Upgrade your installation

tradergordo

Post by tradergordo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Yea, that's the first thing I did. There was a newer version available, I downloaded and installed it. No error messages. Worked normal as before for a couple days maybe, then the problem resumed. As far as I can tell, there is no difference with the latest version compared to the older version I was using. I also applied the latest hot fix by the way.

I do NOT use the enterprise version however, just standard...

How long have you been problem free?
I think mine is usually fine for a couple days at a time, maybe even a week. I can't remember when this all started, perhaps a month or two ago.

polarisie

Post by polarisie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 pm

tradergordo wrote:Yea, that's the first thing I did. There was a newer version available, I downloaded and installed it. No error messages. Worked normal as before for a couple days maybe, then the problem resumed. As far as I can tell, there is no difference with the latest version compared to the older version I was using. I also applied the latest hot fix by the way.

I do NOT use the enterprise version however, just standard...

How long have you been problem free?
I think mine is usually fine for a couple days at a time, maybe even a week. I can't remember when this all started, perhaps a month or two ago.
Here are 2 tips i have :

1. Under Windows services set the problematic mailenable service to restart after X minutes when/if it crashes.

2. If at all, possible hold off from enabling the IMAP services. In the past when we did get hacked and had bots planted into the server, it was all via the Imap services (i am not saying this is a problem with the current builds though)
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

tradergordo

Post by tradergordo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 pm

OK, I might try the restart service trick although I don't know if I like the idea of it. I don't use IMAP, just pop.

I was looking though the event logs. I'm not sure any events are really logged when the problem occurs though. For example I had the problem today, but I don't see any relevant error events. However looking back a week, one day I DO see:

APPLICATION ERROR EVENT:
"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Inbound Agent ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: MailEnable SMTP Service error: 10048, ME-F0083: Unable to bind to IP Address ((All)), Port (25). Could not start SMTP Connector. Check that another SMTP Server is not running or security software has not prevented access to the port."

Followed up a few seconds later with SYSTEM ERROR EVENT:
"The MailEnable POP Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s)."

This is probably something totally unrelated. I do not have any other SMTP server running nor do I have security software blocking mail enable.

Everything is running fine right now, we'll see how long it goes this time...