Secure Password Authentication (SPA) supported?

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
JeffF

Secure Password Authentication (SPA) supported?

Post by JeffF » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:10 pm

I have set up my mail server, no real problems once I got DNS working correctly. I must say Mailenable is a great product. I am using Outlook Express 6 as my client and when creating accounts I tried enabling SPA - secure password authentication but when it is enabled I can't log on to the mail server. I looked for an option in Mailenable to support SPA but can't find anything but APOP. Does Mailenable support SPA? If it is unchecked in Outlook Express everything works fine even with APOP enabled.

Also, what exactly does APOP do? I didn't have to configure anything in Outlook Express for it but it works fine, is it supported natively in OE? I do have authentication checked for outgoing mail and that works fine.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:53 am

Outlook Express for Windows doesn't support APOP. APOP is md5 encryption method for authenthicating before retrieving email. If APOP is enabled on the server, MailEnable doesn't require that they use it.

SPA is Microsofts authentication method using NTLM, which we don't support. When sending email, use standard SMTP authentication (i.e. in MailEnable the relay option is "Allow relay for authenticated senders"), and click the both "My server requires authentication" for the account.

rpsmith

Post by rpsmith » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:23 am

Found this info at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... s%3B302112

Roy...

MORE INFORMATION
Outlook Express uses a the APOP encrypted method of authentication initially when it establishes a session with the POP3 server. This method increases the security for the password guarding against its being intercepted by unauthorized users as clear text over the Internet.

Request For Comment (RFC) 1939 defines the standard for sending encrypted passwords to a POP3 server. According to this standard, there are two possible valid responses. If the server accepts the APOP-encrypted password, known as a challenge, it sends the positive response, usually +OK. If the server is not capable of processing and unencrypting the APOP challenge, it sends a negative response. The most common response is -ERR. At this point, Outlook Express sends the password as clear text.

NOTE: The explanatory text following either of the required responses may vary among server software products.

The captioned error message, specifically that the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) session has been terminated, is returned when the server fails to send the appropriate response to the initial APOP challenge.

Last Reviewed: 10/2/2002
Keywords: kbprb KB302112

rpsmith

Post by rpsmith » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:27 am

Oops! On second read I noticed this at the very top:

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 for Macintosh
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.02 for Macintosh

Roy... :oops:

JeffF

Post by JeffF » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:18 pm

Thanks for the info. Any chance SPA will be added to ME? I am really impressed with this product! Thanks!

Cyberprog

Post by Cyberprog » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:13 pm

Also on that note, any chance of adding "Allow relay if pop box is accesed within x mins" to the relay stuff?
British Airways billboard ad: Breakfast in London, lunch in New York.
Spraycan addition: Luggage in Bermuda.

andy_ash

Post by andy_ash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Perhaps I'm being a bit dull. But the documentation suggests that NTLM is available in the standard edition?

http://www.mailenable.com/documentation ... neral.html

Cyberprog

Post by Cyberprog » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 pm

This thread is 5 years old!
British Airways billboard ad: Breakfast in London, lunch in New York.
Spraycan addition: Luggage in Bermuda.

andy_ash

Post by andy_ash » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:28 am

Perhaps but that does not alter the fact that the link I put up suggests that NTLM is available, and the standard edition software does not seem to offer that functionality.

I fully accept that the functionality is not offered, but it wasn't until I found this five year old thread that I realised NTLM is not available in the standard edition, and gave up hope of trying to make it work!!!

That's about an hour of my life wasted.
:?