Sending To AOL.com Problem

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
ttracey

Post by ttracey »

Thanks, James - I had forgotten to log in last time this one is just to get notified of replies...

Thanks!

Tom...

ttracey

Post by ttracey »

Problem identified: This is a copy of a Telnet session to AOL's server:
550-The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is either open to
550-the free relaying of e-mail, is serving as an open proxy, or is a
550-dynamic (residential) IP address. AOL cannot accept further e-mail
550-transactions from your server until either your server is closed to
550-free relaying/proxy, or your ISP removes your IP address from their
550-list of dynamic IP addresses. For additional information,
550-please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
550 Goodbye

I am not on their Open Relay list, but I am using a Dynamic IP address. I will see if there is something that I can do to get around this.

Cheers,

Tom...

ttracey

Post by ttracey »

Here is the information from AOL's page.

The following technical requirements apply to the delivery of Internet e-mail through AOL's e-mail network.

AOL's servers will not accept connections from unsecured systems. These include open relays, open proxies, open routers, or any other system that has been determined to be available for unauthorized use.
AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use dynamically assigned IP addresses.
AOL will not deliver e-mail that contains a numeric Universal Resource Locator (URL). (Ex: http://0.0.0.0)
AOL may reject connections from servers whose recipient lists consistently generate a higher than 10% bounce failure rate. (i.e. over 10% of a sender's mailing list is destined for users that do not exist on our system)
AOL may reject connections from senders who are unable to accept at least 90% of the bounce-return messages (mailer-daemon failure/error messages) destined for their systems.
Complaints submitted by AOL members can be used as a basis for refusing connections from systems.
AOL may provide daily communications to postmaster@ and abuse@domain name (or @IP address if no reverse-DNS or PTR records are present) to senders who may be in violation of AOL's guidelines.

I have asked if there is a way to be removed from this list while on a Dynamic IP address. I will post a reply (if recieved) from postmaster@aol.com

Thanks!

Tom...

ibjhb

Post by ibjhb »

ttracey wrote:Here is the information from AOL's page.

The following technical requirements apply to the delivery of Internet e-mail through AOL's e-mail network.

AOL's servers will not accept connections from unsecured systems. These include open relays, open proxies, open routers, or any other system that has been determined to be available for unauthorized use.
AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use dynamically assigned IP addresses.
AOL will not deliver e-mail that contains a numeric Universal Resource Locator (URL). (Ex: http://0.0.0.0)
AOL may reject connections from servers whose recipient lists consistently generate a higher than 10% bounce failure rate. (i.e. over 10% of a sender's mailing list is destined for users that do not exist on our system)
AOL may reject connections from senders who are unable to accept at least 90% of the bounce-return messages (mailer-daemon failure/error messages) destined for their systems.
Complaints submitted by AOL members can be used as a basis for refusing connections from systems.
AOL may provide daily communications to postmaster@ and abuse@domain name (or @IP address if no reverse-DNS or PTR records are present) to senders who may be in violation of AOL's guidelines.

I have asked if there is a way to be removed from this list while on a Dynamic IP address. I will post a reply (if recieved) from postmaster@aol.com

Thanks!

Tom...
Thanks. Glad you figured your problem out.

However, I'm on a static IP and am not running open relay. I can't figure it out at all. Hope the Mail Enable guys can... :)
James

rpsmith

Post by rpsmith »

I'm using RoadRunner (cable modem) and have a dynamic IP address and solved my problem of not being able to send to AOL by setting my SMTP to SmartHost to my ISP's SMTP Server. This cause MailEnable to send all my outbound mail to RoadRunner's SMTP server and RR relays it on. Problem solved.

Roy...
Roy...

Mark

Problem?

Post by Mark »

By using that smarthost option, does anyone think that is more likely to send up a flag to your ISP that you're hosting an email server? Because it is my understanding that most providers don't allow this?

This would be the case because their SMTP server would be sending a lot of emails from your IP? Let me know if anyone has any input on this, because I want to use the smarthost option but I'm worried that attbi>comcast will be alerted... and thus cause problems of sort...

ibjhb

Re: Problem?

Post by ibjhb »

Mark wrote:By using that smarthost option, does anyone think that is more likely to send up a flag to your ISP that you're hosting an email server? Because it is my understanding that most providers don't allow this?

This would be the case because their SMTP server would be sending a lot of emails from your IP? Let me know if anyone has any input on this, because I want to use the smarthost option but I'm worried that attbi>comcast will be alerted... and thus cause problems of sort...

Funny you should mention this because that is exactly what I did this morning.... I set the smarthost and everything works since it is relaying through my ISPs mail servers. I'm not worried though because I have a business account and they shouldn't have any problems with it. It seems I can send to AOL now.
James

ttracey

Post by ttracey »

The only issue I have with this is - via Comcast, their outbound SMTP server is extremely slow (hours, sometimes) and I would like a bit more control. AOL is the only idiotic group of admins that block connections that overly aggressively.

What I was told to try was ensuring that I can do a "masquerade as" like you can with IIS SMTP server. What I did now (since I can't find that setting in ME) is smarthost to my IIS SMTP server, and configure it to masquerade as "ipaddress.client.attbi.com" (which is what the nslookup shows my address to be). The problem may be that the word "client" in the nslookup is what AOL uses to trigger their drop. Since IIS will allow conditional smart-host (only smart-host relays when it can't direct connect), I've configured it to smart-host to Comcast. Not sure if this configuration is working totally or not - It hasn't failed over for relay yet. It may be something to look into though...

rpsmith

Post by rpsmith »

Would be nice if the MailEnable coders would add a smart-host list feature. If the domain you're sending to is in this list then send via smart-host otherwise send it directly.

Roy...
Roy...

rpsmith

Post by rpsmith »

A much better way to Smart Host to AOL:

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?p=6093#6093

Roy...
Roy...

DOA

Post by DOA »

See what I get for not see page two!!! LOL

Just an FYI same problem here.

And I think I know why.

If you do not have a Static IP address from your ISP aol.com will not let mail from your server thru , ALSO try to send an email to earthlink.cokm also should have the same problem.

In my case my ISP's SMTP server is very slow and down all the time and I have been looking for a way around this and can not find one

Post by Guest »

add "wmconnect.com" (walmart/aol isp) to the list of domains to send via your isp's smtp server.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hi @all,

i have the problem now, too.
9 messages are staying in queue. One of the rexipients is somebody@freenet.de.

I was telnetting the pop3.freenet.de and was able to send a mail manually, but i go the answer, that the mailbox of that person is full later by mail.

Any news?

Best regards

Patrick