Spam question

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Normanfh

Spam question

Post by Normanfh »

I've been running mailenable server on my PC for about 5 or 6 years now. I only have one domain with two mailboxes, one for me and one for my wife, plus the postmaster box. These are purely personal email accounts so not a lot is sent out from them, but I use then for my Yahoo group mail because I got tired of my group mail going into bounce status every few weeks with my old pacbell email account. So I get a lot of incoming mail (and a huge amount of SPAM), but I don't send out a lot. I updated today and I was looking at my SMTP logs. I noticed a large number of messages in the outgoing queue. I'm worried that my server is being used as a spam relay - how can I tell if this is occurring or not?

polarisie

Re: Spam question

Post by polarisie »

Normanfh wrote:I've been running mailenable server on my PC for about 5 or 6 years now. I only have one domain with two mailboxes, one for me and one for my wife, plus the postmaster box. These are purely personal email accounts so not a lot is sent out from them, but I use then for my Yahoo group mail because I got tired of my group mail going into bounce status every few weeks with my old pacbell email account. So I get a lot of incoming mail (and a huge amount of SPAM), but I don't send out a lot. I updated today and I was looking at my SMTP logs. I noticed a large number of messages in the outgoing queue. I'm worried that my server is being used as a spam relay - how can I tell if this is occurring or not?
Hi

As always start with your mailenable SMTP logs. By looking at the log you should be able to roughly tell. You can also directly open the messages in the outgoing queue to view the message content to determine if they are indeed spam.

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com