disable DNS recursion preventing emails from arriving

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
samisadder

disable DNS recursion preventing emails from arriving

Post by samisadder »

Dear Sir,
I need your help,
I have been requested by the hosting company to disable DNS recursion on my server, I am using windows DNS (win 2008 R2 server)..
but when I did, mailenable was unable to send emails.. and all what I send is not going to the recipients ...

I don't know what to do.

can you help me?

thank you

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: disable DNS recursion preventing emails from arriving

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Inspect the SMTP activity and debug log file to see what is occurring when the messages are being sent. Run the Mail Enable diagnostic report to inspect for DNS resolution failures.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

samisadder

Post by samisadder »

Dear Ian,
thank you for your prompt reply,
I did the diagnostic test by mailenable service, and it gave me red (faild) sign on the following:
Remote Mail Domain Resolution Test (mailenable.com) Error: Could not resolve your mailenable.com in DNS. You should make sure that your DNS specified in the SMTP properties is able to resolve remote domain names. Error: Could not resolve DNS. (9002) Fail
what should I do?

thank you so much

samisadder

Post by samisadder »

when i uncheck the (disable recursion), sending emails worked and all sent emails arrived, i did the diagnostic test to check if the fail is still apear, and there was no failed message... instead of that, I got the following msg:
Remote Mail Domain Resolution Test (mailenable.com) Mail Exchanger (MX) IP Addresses=mail.mailenable.com Success Pass

thanks for your help

samisadder

Post by samisadder »

plz help me?

thank you

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

What problem are you still having ? The last message you posted shows that domain resolution passed as it could determine the IP address for mail.mailenable.com via DNS which is what it is supposed to be able to do.

Cheers,
Brett

samisadder

Post by samisadder »

Dear Brett,
thank you for your reply..

the problem is that:
- the hosting company at which I am hosting my server, received complaints that my server a problem which is (DNS recursion is enabled) and they request that I should go to my DNS and disable DNS recursion...
- I did as they requested, and then the email service stoped sending emails. When clients send emails from any domain hosted on my server, the email message go to the smtp outgoing queue and stays there...
- when I uncheck the (disable DNS recursion) all emails go out the email server...

I did diagnostic test for mailenable when DNS recursion is disabled and got the following:
Remote Mail Domain Resolution Test (mailenable.com) Error: Could not resolve your mailenable.com in DNS. You should make sure that your DNS specified in the SMTP properties is able to resolve remote domain names. Error: Could not resolve DNS. (9002) Fail
when I enable the DNS recursion ... the test show no problem..

thats the problem...

can you help me?

Brett Rowbotham

DNS recursion is standard and should be enabled to allow your DNS server to query an uplevel DNS server when it can't resolve a given domain itself. This you saw yourself when you turned off recursion and found your emails were not going out because the destination domains could not be resolved.

What you might do is set ME to use the DNS servers provided by your ISP rather than using your own. They certainly can't complain about that.

Cheers,
Brett

carrzkiss

Post by carrzkiss »

@Bret.
I know this is old.
But your information is still valid.
I has stopped recursion on my DNS, and never knew that mail was not being delivered.
I changed to my ISP's DNS and all is good now.

Thank you
Wayne

Brett Rowbotham

You are welcome - glad it is still helping people.

Cheers,
Brett