How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
RomIII

How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

Post by RomIII »

Lately we've been getting hit with alot of emails that show ourselves as the sender (My favorites are ones to me from me). Is it possible to block emails that the displayed from doesn't match the actual from address?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You need to enable the SMTP security option "Authenticated senders can spoof sender addresses" located within the "Address Spoofing" properties under the SMTP "Security" tab. This will enforce any local address that is sending to another local address your server to authenticate.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

RomIII

Post by RomIII »

Sorry should have been more clear. These arent coming from our server, these are coming in from other servers showing as coming from us, I'm assuming someone somewhere with our email in their contacts got a virus or something. Our server has spoofing off already, these come in showing from my email but are actually coming from "Myname@privateemail123.com" or some other garbage yahoo address.

It actually did say my email in the from but if you say hit reply you see the actual fake email.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The only way to stop or mark messages with the FROM header of the message that is spoofed is either:

1. Upgrading to Professional or Enterprise and increasing the weighting value for the criteria: Envelope sender does not match header sender so that the message is marked as spam and moved to Junk.
2. Looking into a third party MTA pickup event that has the functionality to stop these types of spam messages.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

ephraimdov

Post by ephraimdov »

You can report a phishing scam attempt to the company that is being spoofed.

Don't click on any links, open attachments, or expand any included pictures

You can also send reports to the Federal Trade Commission(forward the e-mail to the FTC, spam@uce.gov).

Don't try to reply to the sender

Delete the email from your computer

You can send details to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, which is building a database of common scams to which people can refer.

More about....phishing

http://net-informations.com/q/mis/phishing.html

Dov

a.loffredo

Post by a.loffredo »

We have got the same issue. This is a serious problem.
Anybody from within the domain can send emails as anybody else from the same domain without knowing the password.

Imagine i've got mailEnable running on the server whitehouse.gov and i'm a legit owner of a mailbox @whithouse.gov i could send emails pretending i'm thepresident@whitehouse.gov (assuming such email address exist) and nobody could stop me :oops:

You really should do something to enforce the check on authentication username and mailbox regardless of the envelope which may be missing

hypnos97

Post by hypnos97 »

Anybody from within the domain can send emails as anybody else from the same domain without knowing the password.

poweredge

Post by poweredge »

Consider this is normal.

Just answer the following question.

In real life, someone can write your home address on the top left corner of the letter and send thousands of advertising letters to potential customers, all bounced back will go to your home address.

There is no way to prevent this.

Update: Actually the following will mitigate the problem
1. As suggested by Ian of ME, Upgrading to Professional or Enterprise and increasing the weighting value for the criteria: Envelope sender does not match header sender so that the message is marked as spam and moved to Junk.
2. Spamassassin in a box, it works out of installation and together with ME Spam Protection taking care all these spoofed email to Junkbox

radcliffes113

Post by radcliffes113 »

ephraimdov wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 am

You can also send reports to the Federal Trade Commission(forward the e-mail to the FTC, spam@uce.gov).

You can send details to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, which is building a database of common scams to which people can refer.

More about....phishing

Dov

poweredge

Post by poweredge »

radcliffes113 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm
ephraimdov wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 am

More about....phishing

Dov
Add Spamassassin will solve this particular problem right away